Thread: Hot Hot Rutabagas

Hot Hot Rutabagas

My wife and I decided to have a garden this year. We have not had one in 20 years. I tilled up an area and put down some high nitrogen fertilizer and planted a bunch of stuff. My question is why is our Rutabaga so hot. Everything in our garden seems to taste pretty good except the Rutabaga and our Radishes are on the hot side also. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong.

murph

Re: Hot Hot Rutabagas

Doesn't anybody have any idea? Did I water too much or too little, did I use too much fertilizer? These rutabagas are so hot you can't eat them. I will have to throw all of them away the way it looks.

murph

Absolutely no idea murph. Are they spicy hot? Very odd as rutabagas tend to be so bland. My family eats rutabaga for Christmas/thanksgiving dinners and that's about it. Few others in our circle of family/friends have even heard of rutabaga. I grew them once, couldn't be easier to grow and they tasted fine.

Once you get some edible ones, how do you prepare them? Any favorite recipes?
    Rob

They taste almost like an onion. My radishes were on the hot side also so the best I can figure is I done something wrong. So I guess Spicey hot.

I really don't have any recipies or anything like that, but I just love to pull one out of the garden, clean it and eat it raw. Maybe it brings back memories of my Grandma. She use to do that all the time for me.

murph

I'm planning to put in rutabagas as a fall crop. In this zone, we can supposedly plant them in July for harvest in the fall. I was under the impression they like cooler temperatures when they start to mature. Was it hotter than normal around where you are?

As to recipes, I like them just cubed and boiled and then served with butter, but mashing them with potatoes is good too. They're good cooked with pot roast.

Do you wax yours for storage? I'm going to plant a bunch of them, so I'll need to store them for use. I have a root cellar, but the only thing I've kept there for long was sweet potatoes, which did really well and kept for months.

Chuck