Thread: putting a chicken coop over septic drain field

putting a chicken coop over septic drain field

My wife suggested that we use the area over the septic drain field by either putting a chicken coop or allowing the horses to graze. Any feedback from any of you knowledgeable country homesteaders .

Re: putting a chicken coop over septic drain field

The horses sure won't do the field system any good. Their hoofs make good compactors.

Egon

The chickens won't do it any good either. It's best to leave it open.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I would think the chicken coop would be better than the horses...assuming of course your septic is working OK and not bubbling up to the surface on occassion.

As long as the coop doesn't reqquire digging (i.e. for footers/foundation), I don't see why it would be a problem if space is limited.

Not sure about the chickens (as long as the field drains and perks correctly), but do not let the horses hang out there. The previous owner here let cattle graze over mine and they tore it up pretty good. Keep heavy things (big animals, vehicles, etc.) off of the whole area. Don't give it too much water, either, if you can help it.

I wouldn't build anything over it. If it has to be replaced in a few years, you would have to move your coop/pen, or relocate the drain field. The other thing I can tell you is that the soil in the bottom of our coop/pen is hard as a rock. Depending on how deep that compaction goes, it would mess with the drain field.

Steve

I think I'd build one I could move from place to place, and use a couple of dog lots, joined together for a yard. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

I would think as long as its movable, it's probably not a problem. It occured to me that it may be a health code violation to build anything permanent over the drain field. Not sure on that one.

Steve