Thread: Ain't much

Ain\'t much

That's the best way to describe my garden that seriously resembles a nice weed patch.
    Way too much rain in the spring, I think, was the problem. The beans didn't bean. The corn, is kinda well, it's didn't corn.
    The tomatoes look okay, ain't looked closely for a few days but there were some small green ones.
    Onions. They did okay. The potoato patch is okay but the rain and then sudden heat / dry spell has them trying to jump out of the ground.
    Maybe I'll do more gooder next year.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Re: Ain\'t much

Theboman,

I guess I'm lucky. My garden was so bad last year that anything I get from it this year seems like a gift from heaven. We had the wet spring and then the hot dry spell, but my snap peas and beans did OK. No cabbage to speak of this year, and that's about all I did get last year. I put in Yukon Gold and Kennebec potatoes. I already dug the Golds because the tops were brown. I got maybe twice the weight I planted, and since the seed potatoes were twice the price of eating potatoes, I guess I broke even....since my time is worthless! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm getting some thin-walled but decent sized bell peppers, and lots of cayenne and jalapenos. Most of my tomatoes are doing OK and we're getting some ripe ones now. If the yellow squash would pretend to be zuchini I'd be happier. And I have the most bitter cucumbers on the planet. Better than last year; not winning any prizes.

Chuck

You can still replant a lot of vegetables and get some good fall crops if you want. Being in Kentucky you have plenty of time to get some beans in and could also plant a lot of different types of greens for fall salads.

I acutally way over did it last year. I'm thinking I'll till everything under and sew some wheat or some kind of cover crop and wait til next year.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

The best in my garden is the weeds. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But for the most part, for a first year garden it's doing OK. I had something eat most of my corn plants. I reseeded them, but the new ones are not doing that well. Maters and peppers are doing good, some are starting to fruit a bit. Small but working on it. The rest is growing, but nothing yet.
    Paul Bradway