Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to finish foundation/siding/garage door trim?

Re: How to finish foundation/siding/garage door trim?

Kevin, it is a fact that the Better Business Bureau is a paper tiger; better than nothing, but not much better. I don't know what might have changed in the last 25 years, but I learned back then that they would tell you absolutely nothing derogatory about any company unless they had a minimum of three unresolved complaints. Resolved and pending complaints don't count. There was a particular pool company in Dallas (they had moved from New York state to Georgia before coming to Dallas) and the BBB always gave them a clean report, but I found there were dozens of complaints and I helped do my part to run them out of Dallas (don't know whether they folded up entirely or just moved to another state).

<font color="blue"> BBB is in business to assist the business owner..., not the customer, regardless of what they say.</font color>

What most people don't know is that the BBB is a franchise you buy just like McDonald's. They are neither governmental nor quasi-governmental. They are a private, for profit business and get their revenues primarily through selling memberships.

Needless to say, I am not a fan even though I've only had one complaint lodged against me with the local BBB ever and it was quickly resolved in my favor.

In that instance a customer gave a deposit on a purchase then changed their mind and wanted the deposit refunded and I declined. I got a notice in the mail from the BBB and called the party there who had signed the letter. She refused to do anything unless and until I responded in writing to them on their form. The arrogance I encountered there put me off of them altogether.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The main problem is that they want the remaining 10% payment and we don't think we should have to pay for crummy work.

[/ QUOTE ]

When we had ours built, I told them the house wasn't finished until I said it was finshed. Towards the final couple of weeks, I had post-it notes all over the place and I emailed them a new list every day. Their office called and wanted us to sign for the final draw, and I told them it wasn't going to happen-- there was still $10,000 worth of work to be completed. That got them back out there to finish the work, but it's been a struggle to get them back out here for anything else since that time--

They started on the house at the end of November and finished at the end of April (after telling us it would be finished the first half of March). Then the septic system failed inspection two days AFTER we moved in and after the final draw was signed-- it was three weeks before that was taken care of and another month before final grade was completed. We've still got issues, but now I only get their voicemail and they don't answer their email.

By the way, use email as much as possible if they have it, because it gives you a written record of your attempts to contact them, and a record of their responses. You'll need it later.

Your contractor isn't even slick. I've worked for contractors that would notice a problem like that and have someone ( usually me) grout it up before it was noticed and complained about.

FWIW, You'd be better off checking with your attorney on that. The courts might not allow you to back charge for your own time. They might only allow you to claim materials only, whereas if you hire it out they should allow all charges.

Unfortunate that people like this aren't an extinct species.

<font color="blue"> The courts might not allow you to back charge for your own time. </font color>

That has been exactly my experience. If I did it they will not allow for my time. If I hired it done, then the entire bill is fine with them.

I think the logic in that is obvious. People would tend to overestimate the value of their time or the amount of it spent on a particular task.

Most courts in New York will not accept owner time to repair items. Sounds funny but I was told the owner has too much vested interest in the project.

Courts will however allow reasonable repair/replacement costs by a contractor.

Ran into that problem once or twice. Frustrating too, with our rental property it's "cheaper" in the long run to hire out repairs. I can't deduct my time from work done there either.

Well if you got the CO, or rather the builder got it, then you should be able to move in!...go to the city and ask them for a copy of the CO....is the home livable at this point? are these repairs that Paul would feel comfortable doing?....I really dont think that this builder will take you to court over the last $10K...I would just move in, change the locks and not give him the security system code....tell local law enforcement you are having a problem with the builder, and could they keep an eye out for any visitors to the home during the time you guys are away...(working... etc)....I had that problem with the ceramic tile guy, didnt want to finish up his work without getting more money for doing the kitchen backsplash and the rounded jacuzzi tub skirt...so he just didnt want to finish up for the amount I was holding back....about $1200 as I recall, and he was holding up the finish plumbing work...fixtures and so forth...so I just got some local guy out of the paper, and he completed the job for around $450 ...when the tile guy heard about this, he became livid...started cussing at me and threatened to put a lien on the house and so forth...I told him he wasn't getting another dime from me and I would see him in court...then I went to the local police station that afternoon and asked them to patrol the area a little more closely the next few weeks and please check on anyone they saw in the house .....since I had the only key to the house, and I had to go by there and unlock the doors every morning, I knew if anyone was supposed to be there or not...

Please....don't let this guy ruin you life...and dont be afraid of confronting him in a court....if you pay him now, you have no leverage whatsoever...if you go to court and lose, then you pay him!! I would just move in and let what happens happens!

Re: How to finish foundation/siding/garage door tr

It is definitely a bummer that in court your personal efforts are worthless but a bill from any ole sleazeball handy man will be honored. What do we learn from this? Don't go to court with a record of your time and materials. DO Go to court with cancelled checks showing that you hired someone to do the work and that they furnished materials at discount store + 30% prices in addition to a reasonable (for your area) hourly charge for exactly lthe number of hours you spent doing the job.

The checks are made out to your wifes's cousins boyfriend or other cooperating person who might actually have shown up and helped a bit. You worked as his helper.. wink wink. Bottom line is that the job gets done and a paper trail of payment to a third party is established. Prices and hourly rates are in line with local norms. NO ONE IS RIPPED OFF OR GOUGED. Court is happy and you are happy. After the fact it is more than a little difficult to prove who did or did not do the work and the courts are NOT INTERESTED. The offending contractor might get upset but that is a good thing.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"