Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV antenna AMPLIFIERS

TV antenna AMPLIFIERS

I have a TV antenna I put in my garage attic. It is aimed the correct direction, but the reception is quite poor. I assume this is because it is mounted indoors.

I bought the largest model I could find, but I get fuzzy pictures on the UHF channels that are 20 miles away. The local Fox channel is a LP station 25-30 miles away and I can't get it at all.

My question is, do these amplifiers that are availiable actually work, or would I be throwing my money away? Money is tight right now and I don't want to spend $60+ if it's not going to work.

Also, does anyone recomennd any particular type and model over another?

Re: TV antenna AMPLIFIERS

I had the same problem. The VHF was very clear but the UHF was snowy. Added an amplifier that was the same make, Channel Master, as the the system and the improvement was very good. I am about 35 miles from the source.

Until last Fall, we were about 50 miles from all the broacast station towers, so I put my antenna outside with an amplifier inside (all from Radio Shack) and got fine reception.

I installed a Radio Shack amplifier on my antenna when I lived in Ohio about halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati. Before the amplifier, depending upon which way the antenna was pointed we got just a few channels from either city. After the amplifier we were able to get channels from both cities without re-aiming the antenna. We mounted our antenna in the attic, ran co-ax to the amplifier in the basement and split the signal out to the TV and stereo in the living room.

I'd spend a few bucks and try one. Worst case, you bring it back and are just out a few hours of your time and some gas.

<font color="blue">...fuzzy pictures on the UHF channels ... </font color>

Is it a "Dual" VHF/UHF antenna or just a VHF array?

Can you post a pix of the antenna?

Mostly an amplifier is non-discriminant... it can't distinguish between "signal information" or "noise"... the amplifier will AMPLIFY everything... noise and all...(if the signal level is below a certain threshold level, you may need a higher gain antenna...)

So the end result usually is a "noisier" snowy signal... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

If the antenna is a "Dual" type antenna, do you have a coupler installed properly at the antenna's feeds... to combine the VHF/UHF components...?

Also in the attic, do you have older "metallic" aluminum foil backed insulation possibly "shielding" or deflecting the incoming signals... or does the antenna have a "clear view" of the horizon... (this also includes NO Aluminum siding)

What is a "LP" station?

Well, the answers are all right on, except for one thing. If you're gonna put in an amplifier, put it as close to the antenna as you can. Putting it in the basement or any distance from the antenna just means that the available signal will be that much weaker when you try to amplify it.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is it a "Dual" VHF/UHF antenna or just a VHF array?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a VHF/UHF antenna. It is a Channel Master. I'm not sure of the model number, but it is the largest of the three models that they sold at my local Lowes store. It has quite a large wing span on it. In the center of my garage attic, I can't turn it without taking it apart, moving it, and putting it back together again. The first picture shows the UHF part of the antenna. I'd say it's about 4 to 5 feet long.

I'm positive that it's aimed the right direction. I'm only about 20 miles from downtown Youngstown and I should be able to receive 21 (NBC), 27 (CBS), and 33 (ABC). None are perfect considering the distance to town, but 21 and 27 are "watchable" most of the time, but 33 is very snowy with hints of color showing every once in a while.

If the antenna is a "Dual" type antenna, do you have a coupler installed properly at the antenna's feeds... to combine the VHF/UHF components...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything seems to be installed correctly. There is a 4-way splitter in the basement. Also, I'd say that there is probably 100 feet of coax from the antenna to each of the most watched TV's in the house.

Also in the attic, do you have older "metallic" aluminum foil backed insulation possibly "shielding" or deflecting the incoming signals... or does the antenna have a "clear view" of the horizon... (this also includes NO Aluminum siding)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a brand new house with vinyl siding and no insulation in the side walls of the garage attic. There is a clear view for about 250 down my driveway, then thick woods across the road. I would think this wouldn't make too much of a difference, considering the short distance, but what do I really know about the subject anyway?

What is a "LP" station?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the FCC website--
    The Low Power Television Service (LPTV) was established by the Federal Communication Commission in 1982. It was primarily intended to provide opportunities for locally-oriented television service in small communities, both rural communities and individual communities within larger urban areas. LPTV presents a less expensive and very flexible means of delivering programming tailored to the interests of viewers in small localized areas, providing a means of local self-expression. In addition, LPTV has created abundant opportunities for new entry into television broadcasting, and it has permitted fuller use of the broadcast spectrum. LPTV branch is also responsible for processing application for Television Translator stations. TV Translator stations are stations in the broadcast service operated for the purpose of retransmitting the programs and signals of a TV broadcast station.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Fox network in Youngstown is broadcast on two LP stations, 17 and 62, depending on which side of town you live on. I'm about 25 miles to the SW of one and about 35-40 miles west of the other one, but don't receive either one in at all.

This is the middle section of the antenna. As I said before, it is the largest of the three Channel Master models that they had at Lowes, and I'm perplexed as to why I don't receive a better picture than I get. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

That's a big antenna. I'd think you should reach out at least 80-100 miles. I always heard amplifiers were to be used at the signal source to boost the signal over long coax runs. I used a $10 splitter/amplifier for a few months before I decided it was wasting electricity. I'll suggest taking a portable TV in the attic with a proven piece of coax to rule out a wiring issue.

Curious why you installed it indoors?
    The roof attenuates the signal, you should get much better reception with it outdoors.
    That looks like a model 3020 which should get reception at:
    UHF 60 Miles
    VHF 105 Miles
    I'm sure those figures are for an outdoor installation.