Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV antenna AMPLIFIERS

Re: TV antenna AMPLIFIERS

I've known others that have installed in the attic before, but have had better results. Personally, I don't really care to have a big honking TV antenna sitting on top of a brand new house. I have better landscaping ideas than that to start with!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    UHF 60 Miles
    VHF 105 Miles
    I'm sure those figures are for an outdoor installation.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've been told that you can cut the numbers in half for an indoor installation. Even with that said, I should be getting something better than I'm getting. I've just never personally known anyone with an amplifier to know if Id be wasting money or not...

Are you sure your pointing the right way? Just because a TV studio is at some address the antenna might be at another.

Yes, it is pointed the right way.

Update--
    I went to Radio Shack and bought the more expensive of the two amplifier models that they sold. I now receive channels 27 and 33 in perfectly. 21 has a clean picture, but with ghosts and distorted color <font color="red"> (over-powered signal?) </font color> . I still barely get Fox 62, but I can get Fox 8 out of Cleveland, but it is snowy but with color <font color="red"> (Again, over-power signal???)</font color>. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Also, at night I can receive something on every VHF station except 6, 7 and 10. 2, 4, 11, 13 are coming in from Pittsburgh. 3, 5, and 8 from Cleveland. 9 from Steubenville and 12 from Erie, PA! Five NBC stations!

They say you lose 50% of your signal when you put your antenna in your attic. With the antenna coupled with the amplifer, I can only imagine the signal I would receive if it was mounted on the outside of the house. Too bad it looks so ugly out there!

I've got cable available at the road, but I've put all of this together for the cost of a few months of cable, and now I can have nothing on TV for free instead of paying to flip through the channels and finding nothing on... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I live a good ways from large city and was getting nothing but snowy pictures with tv antenna connected to chimney. I added amplifier and only saw a small improvement, and only on a couple of channels. Then I added a rotater to the antenna and also raised it about 2 feet. Raising it 2 feet made an incredible improvement. The rotater helped too as I was able to fine tune the direction of the antenna. I usually leave it in one direction but I do have two stations that come in better when I rotate about 45 degrees from my normal setting. Also, I can usually get a little better by a click or two even on the "good" stations. I don't think you'll ever have satisfactory reception with antenna in attic unless you live in the city. In the country you need all the help you can get. A foot or two of height can make a big difference. I now get 10 channels of decent quality, though not digital quality. I actually get many more but I'm not counting the shopping, church, or spanish stations as I don't watch these.