Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torch For Shrink Tubing

Torch For Shrink Tubing

What kind of torch do you all recommend for heating shrink tubing? Currently, I have a propane torch with a manual nozzle.

I was thinking about getting a trigger start for it but then thought maybe one of those mini-torches would be better for tubing. Where can you get a mini-torch? Bernzomatic doesn't have one.

BTW, I was planning on using the shrink tubing, instead of electrical tape for sealing out the weather, on the wiring I added to additional lights I've added to my tractor.

Re: Torch For Shrink Tubing

Mike, I've seen the small mini-torches at Lowe's and Home Depot. I still use a lighter, but it's one of the long ones folks use to light grills, candles, etc. with.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I never did like a propane torch attached to a one pound bottle; couldn't turn it upside down, too big and awkward to handle, etc. So over 20 years ago, I got an 11' high pressure hose from a local LPG distributor. It had the fitting on one end to connect the my 20# (and later 40# LPG bottle) and the fitting on the other that matched the top of a one pound bottle, so that any of those torches would work on it. The last one I had came from Walmart and I believe it was made by Weller. Just pull the trigger to ignite, very handy.

Don't use a torch, use a heat (hot air) gun. Better control. And some have a deflector that wraps around the back of the tubing and provides a faster more even heat.

BTW, heat shrink tubing by itself is not weather proof. You need to get the kind that has the saler applied on the inside. When you shrin the tubing, the sealer melts and creats a air and watertight seal.

Tubing with the sealer will be shiney on the inside.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks for the great responses! I had never thought about using a heat gun. I have one of those. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Also, here's a picture of what I was thinking about. $28.

>> What kind of torch do you all recommend for heating shrink tubing?

A blow dryer will get the job done, but an industrial heat gun is a lot nicer and will last longer. I wouldn't use a propane torch because it is hotter than you really need.

I've used this type of heat gun for the last 3 years and have been very pleased with it. I do a lot of automotive electrical stuff and firmly believe in soldered and heat-shrinked connections [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Heat Gun

I also have a reflector for this gun that ensures that the heat is applied fairly evenly all around the tubing.
    Nick

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    BTW, heat shrink tubing by itself is not weather proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get the weatherproof stuff?

Steve

<font color="blue">Where do you get the weatherproof stuff?</font color>
    Steve, I did a Google search on 'heat shrink tubing' and noticed several places that sell tubing, including the weatherproof kind, from 3M. I did not bookmark the URLs.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think wiring for tractor lights needs to be weatherproof, probably just weather resistant. For example, the electrical pigtail on Boomers for connecting the factory work light is not weatherproof.

I was looking for a solution that's better than wrapping a connection with electrical tape. Soldering and heat shrink tubing would be a better and neater solution. Electrical tape, as I learned since I installed my work lights, tends to deteriorate and then unravel.

I have some crimp type butt splices that have heat shrink tubing and sealent incorporated. I have two different sizes, yellow and blue, might have red too, don't remember.

Crimp the wire in place and hit it with the heat gun. Tubing shrinks down and the sealant flows. Makes a beautiful connection.

I'll send you a few if you'd like to try them. Send me a PM with your information and I'll drop a few in the mail.

I bought them at Gateway Electronics in St. Louis. They carry a lot of surplus items so things come and go.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?