Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torch For Shrink Tubing

Re: Torch For Shrink Tubing

That unit looks like it puts out hot air and not a flame. If that's the case it would work fine. But if you already have the heatgun, and have AC power available, I'd save the $28.

Well, probably not, it looks like a nice little unit!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

<font color="blue"> Where do you get the weatherproof stuff?
    </font color>
    Waterproof heat shrink tubing source

Here's a pretty neat kit that includes everything you'll need, including connectors that contain the solder as well as the sealant. Just stick the wires in at each end, heat and you're done. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I happened to be at Advance Auto Parts this evening and noticed that they had the crimp butt splice connectors with the shrink sleeve and adhesive. They had the yellow, blue, and red for the three major wire ranges. They were marked as "waterproof connectors".

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the heat shrink tubing with the adhesive will be shiney inside rather than matt finish like the outside of the tube. Gayeway Electronics sells bags of short pieces that range from 1" to maybe 4" lengths. I'm sometimes able to sort through the pile and select a package with a high proportion of pieces that have the adhesive.
    Gary

Shoot, Mike. Here I thought it had to be shrink tubing. (See what I get for thinking? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ) That's why I was asking where you get the waterproof stuff, because I've never known it was available.

What I do is brush on some Starbright. I buy it at Home Depot in the electrical dept in little cans. Usually takes a couple of coats, but gives you a real nice covering over your connection, with no worry about torches. I suppose you could also use the liquid coating for tool handles that you can buy at wally world, but I've never tried it.

When I leave wires unconnected and exposed to the air for any period of time, I just dip them in the starbright. Seems to do a good job.

Steve

PS. Thanks for the links guys!

I use the Starbright to provide a seal on the coax connectors for my ham radio antennas. It will peel off from mecanical abraision. The heat shrink tubing or the butt splices with the shrink tubing and sealant are, I believe, more resistant to wear.

The Starbright does peel off cleanly when you want to remove it. At least on metal connectors.
    Gary

I've never had to use it anywhere where it might get rubbed on. I wonder if you could coat over it with some of the tool handle dip. That stuff can be next to impossible to get off.

Steve