Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budgeted Barn costs

Budgeted Barn costs

I am looking to have constructed a 36 foot by 60 foot single story stall barn. All I want is 10 stalls and electric service. No water, storage, etc. I have qoutes from metal builders, supposed Amish builders (wood), local contractors....with and without stalls.

I am shocked [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] by the prices. Here is a summary;

Metal insulated pole barn NO stalls- $25k on level site
    Amish built wood barn with stalls - $49k ($23/foot)
    Local contractor who proposes pole barn with vinyl [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] siding to match the house - $55k (wife will think its pretty)

I priced materials by the stick for a quality wood shell and came up with 17k. If I use TSC modular stalls (10) it will cost me around 23k-25k total.

What gives. It seems the local contractor priced out matierals and the price was that times 3!

What should I expect to pay in the upstate NY/PA area to have this built?

Thanks much.

Re: Budgeted Barn costs

Can't comment on your prices in particular, but if it was me, and I had the time, I'd do it myself for just the cost of materials.

ALL builders right now have more work than they need and are charging premium prices...and most don't care if they get the job or not so there is not much negotiating room.

It was that way about 3 years ago when I decided to do everything myself, and its only got worse. My brother-in-law is a builder and he reports that even the subs that he has used for a decade or more are gouging him on every quote... 2x or 3x what similar jobs costs not that long ago.

Don't worry though...it can't last...waiting for a slowdown, if its an option, is another choice you may have.

Good luck.

A 36x60 would be easy to build. Then just get the modular stalls and put in yourself. You can do something like this for probably around $11k for materials and that's including the modular stalls.

I agree, a pole barn of this size would be easy to build and I would estimate the same for materials (without concrete aisle). I did a similar center aisle barn a few years ago. 34 x 48 x 10. metal siding/roof, 5 12x12 stalls, 10' center aisle, wash stall w/ hot water, tack room, feed room, and short term ground level hay/shavings storage, windows, and double sliders at both ends. Here are my costs, I lined my entire barn with 2x6 T&G SYP and made the stalls out of this too, so that added some. Plus I'm in Connecticut, so that added some. I contracted out the plumbing, eletrical, concrete, and site work, so that added some. The rest I did.

10k Shell materials (bought from Carter Lumber in Lancaster, PA)
    1.5k - site work
    1.8k - cement work
    3.5k - SYP liner
    1.5k - Stall hardware
    6k - Electrical
    1.2k - Plumbing

25.5k Total

The 3 x materials is a typical formula if they are not looking for work.

If you are near PA I would look in the Lancaster Farming. There is typically a dozen crews advertized there and the prices are very competative. At their prices it doesn't pay to put it up yourself. From the prices I've seen advertized I bet you could get a 36x60x10 erected shell for about 14k. Why doit youself if the materials will cost you 10k. I wish I could get those guys to come up here. Maybe they would for an indoor riding arena that's on our wish list [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Are there other regional or multi-state pole barn builders that service the area you live in?
    I'm way down here in Texas - we used BCI Barns for our 40x50 building. Total cost was $11,600. I did all the slab steel/prep work myself and hired out the pour/finish, cost was $4100. Along with the initial dirt pad we built up, plus interior work, etc, we've got about $17k into the building. I agree that this can be built on your own, but in our case there were too many other things going on and time was in short supply.
    Anyway, it does seem that the prices you are being quoted are very high.
    Nick

I just added a lean to to the side of my indooor arena. 8 feet wide by 50 feet in length. metal roof, board and batten rough cut siding, all labor by me, total cost will come in around $1300 or $3 a sq foot but that's only building two sides. The other two are existing. I'm also adding on four stalls on the other side. Got a price for putting up the frame, I'll be doing the metal roof and all the stalls. When all is said and done it will be around $5000 total cost not including my time. That comes out to about $8.50 a foot and again one wall is common. I don't see how you could do something like you're talking for $11,000, unless you do everything yourself, then it would be possible. Usually double the material cost is a fair quote, more than that you're getting gouged. When we were pricing indoor arenas (60 x 120) the best we could get down to was around $7 sq foot. The smaller you go the more per sq foot you're going to pay.

What type of modular stalls are you guys talking about? The stall bars and things I've seen are still going to be a minimum of $500-750 per stall for the door hardware and bars and you still have to get the wood. That would add $5000 minimum for 10 stalls............

I wasn't sure about the pricing on the modular stalls either. Between the SYP, grills for the stall fron and window, National sliding door hardware, and mats (which I didn't include above), I spent about 900 per stall [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But I think the 10k for materials for a pole barn shell that size is about right.

I just did ten stalls in my new barn for a little over $4k. These were complete stalls. All I did was put in the wood along the bottom 4'. The rest was a complete iron structure and you used connectors on the top and bottom to put them together. I paid $260 for 2" oak at the local sawmill. This is the odd sizes that they have which worked fine for me. A 36x60' barn at Menards right now comes in at $6989.

BTW Cleary has an advertised price of $11,850 for a 50 x 65 with two sliding doors, four windows, and a service door completely erected on your level site.

Richard,
    If you have a phone # or website for the pre fab stalls I'd appreciate it, sounds like a pretty fair price if I can get it shipped to NY! Sounds like just what I'm in the market for.