Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Budgeted Barn costs

Re: Budgeted Barn costs

Not sure about shipping Gerard. They are at Farm & Fleet here.

Re: Budgeted Barn costs

Tractor Supply (TSC) has the same sort of stalls for about that price. I checked them out and they look good! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Another \"steep\" qoute

Last night I received another qoute from a contractor I met a couple weeks ago. He spec'd the 32x60 pole barn with 10 stalls and vinyl siding at 37k in materials. Then he wants another 25k to build it.

I am tempted to tackle this myself, but time is a concern. I MUST have this building up by late fall (3-4 months) and I could only work on this with the help of my wife and tractor on weekends. After looking at plans on-line it seems simple enough. I guessed 350-400 hours ( [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ) which at 20 labor hours per weekend (wife and myself after chores and kids) would take 5 months [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

Can anyone estimate the number of man hours to construct the shell of a 32x60 pole barn sided with painted t111 or vinyl?

Right now the sinking feeling in my stomach feels like my tractor did when I tried to dig my own pond [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: Another \"steep\" qoute

One option you might want to consider is to contract out the site work, framing, roofing and installation of the distribution panel. You would then do the siding, interior finish, interior wiring and plumbing.

Assuming the site is relatively flat the site work won't even take a day and with a decent crew, the frame and trusses can be put up in 1 or 2 days. Just the framing, if you've never done it before will eat up a lot of weekends if its just you, your wife and a friend or two.

Unfortunately, its a little late to be out looking for a contractor for a summer project. One thing you may want to do if you take this approach is to work with a local lumberyard that builds pole barns. If you buy all your material from them, they may get one of their contractors to do your work as fill-in quicker than you could find someone yourself.

I think your contractor is looking to retire on your dime. His figure comes out to $32/sq foot which is crazy for a pole barn with some stalls. The shell should be around 10-12/foot max, thats around $19K, add 10 stalls at 1K each and you're up to 29K. Even Morton should be able to do what you/re looking at for under $15/ft and they build VERY nice bldgs.

Have you considered rough cut board and batten for siding? It actually costs less than T11, holds up a lot better, and you get one inch thick siding vs 1/2 inch or 5/8 plywood. I'd also be hesitant about vinyl if the horses are going to be anywhere near it. Wood's pretty easy to replace when they chew it, vinyl not so easy. I would really look at Morton. They're a huge company so should be able to get you in and you'll have an all metal very nice structure. We priced 60 x 120 indoor arena's with them and turnkey was less than $10/sq foot. Don't know where you contractors are coming up with those prices but I didn't see your location either. Costs are a lot higher sometimes near the big cities

If you build it yourself rent a Rough Terrain scissor lift. You can use it to put up the trusses and do a lot of the roof work. It'll knock a lot of time off your project.

You say you live in NY/PA area. I just went downstairs and grabbed the latest issue of Lancaster Farming. There are at least a dozen Pole Barn builders advertized in section D. Pioneer Pole Barns has a 40x60x12 pole advertized for 16.5k erected. There are many silmilar ads. I'd pick up a copy [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

http://www.pioneerpolebuildings.com

In 2000 I had a steel pole barn put up 40 X 8, 8 ft high with an adjacent 24 X 48, 16 foot high. It has 3 seven foot garage doors, insulated, one 14 X 14 foot door, also insulated. With cement and one walk in door, cost came to 10.66 per square foot. Since then I have completly insulated and finished the 8 foot section, including a one bedroom apartment with bath, and insulated and finished the 16 foot section up eight feet. Some small items left to finish, my complete cost without site work, including plumbing and electrical will come out to about $16 per square foot. This figure also includes laminate flooring in the bedroom and ceramic tile throughout the living area, it also includes the appliances. My son and myself did all of the work with some help from my brother. This price does not include the septic system which will also be used for the house when that is built.

Thanks allot. I will contact Pioneer right away. Maybe now I can put the Pepcid AC back into the medicine cabinet [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]