Thread: Setting a thermostat

Setting a thermostat

This is a little off-topic, but hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I recently purchased a small walk-in cooler for storage of fruits and vegetables I'm selling at some local farmers' markets. The cooler is running a little cooler than I need for storage of the vegetables. It seems to be cutting out at about 32 and cutting in at around 40. I'd like to run it at about 38 - 45. My problem is that the control is actuated by pressure rather than temperature. Is there a way I can translate the pressure settings to a temperature, or should I call a refrigeration mechanic?

Re: Setting a thermostat

You can translate the pressure into temperature, but it is a pretty nasty formula - I've got it somewhere, but wouldn't want to try it myself. You have to take "STP" (standard pressure and temperature) and figure in your altitude and other things to get it right.

I'd say you have two choices - call in someone who knows what they are doing (that would not be me [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) and pay your $$$ or just fiddle with it yourself in small increments and see what you get. Your risk if you use the "fiddle" method is that you'll change it the wrong way (or too much) and damage your crops.

You can do it yourself. When refrigerant pressure rises, so does the temperature. Your control probably has 2 columns. One that says " cut in is cut out minus differential". You already have the differential that you want, so just raise the pressure setting in small increments, like 2 psi at a time. Give cooler time to cut off and back on. Then adjust 2 more psi if needed. Keep doing this until you reach the temp. range that you are looking for.

JRF

Thanks for the advice. Its the same I got from the repair person who came out today and charged me all of $10.00. I think I'm in good shape now and won't be freezing the vegetables anymore.