Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Framing nailers

Framing nailers

I'm looking at framing nailers. I appreciate the tutorial I've gotten ghosting coversations on other air tools here on CBN, so I figured I'd start a thread here. I've posted this over on TBN, too.

I've got a couple projects to do - a shed and a garage rebuild. We have great sources of local green lumber at good prices, so I'll be using rough stuff, green or dry. Football and foolishness have resulted in knees and elbows that tire soon - even forcing a week off or so if I push too far. So I'm starting to look for help - that's why we finally bought the Ford last Summer.

There are as many brands as there are colors - but I am looking at Porter Cable, Bostitch, and Senco....the local lumber yard is holding up the Senco as best (as is dear old Dad) - they also sell the other two I mentioned. I gave them my needs - build two buildings and then just homeowner work - and they suggested the Senco FramePro 751XP.

Anyone have any opinions? Experience? This model is new, I think. Locally it is around $370.00; I've found it on line for $289.00 with free shipping. The second question is does anyone have experience with Nailzone? They the lowest prices so far. I'm searching Google now, looking for business opinions of them.

Re: Framing nailers

I looked at the NailZone site, and what grabbed my attention was that the Copyright Statement at the bottom said the year 2000. It seems to me that they should have updated that date in at least 3 years -- are they still in business?
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I just bought the porter cable fr350 stick framer. Saw it on line for around $200, Home Depot matched it and then took off 10% so I got it for a little under $200. Couldn't beat the price and I have no complaints with it so far. Don't know what the ones that cost twice as much will do that this one won't. Capacity is 3 1/2 inch max at 120psi. It also has a settable trigger for single fire or contact fire which is nice.

When my house was being built last year I used the contractors Porter Cable nailer for some quick work. The next time I was at HD I picked one up. I should have done it years ago.

I have fired five cases of nails with it and no problems. It sure does speed up the projects. Also picked up a finish nailer to help lay flooring. Just used that yesterday to build two trellises for the front of the barn. The right tool sure makes a difference.

I saw that, too, Dave. Over on TBN there's a few more replies and all kinds of info if anyone is interested. One person is in Alabama, where Nailzone is from, and he may check on them. I may call BBB or something because these guys' prices are great. I wish I could find Senco in Home Depot and get a quote from Nailzone.....that would make watching the mailbox go away. Guess I could just call them, too, Duh!

I own a Bostich NR88,to me this is the best. Got it at Tool Crib of the North,forgot how much. Now I'm going to buy a Bostich finish nailer,I think. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I too got the Bostich ... I like the round magazine much better than the stick. I've had the N88 for about 7 years now ... got it when they were pretty new .. during one of the asnnual Hardware/Woodworking shows in Edmonton.
    I've now built my shop, a shed addition to the garage, and 2 horse shelters here in Michigan and a huge deck, shed enclosure for the hot tub and several other projects back in Alberta.
    While, at times, I envy the guys with the non-pnerumatic setups .... this one has been pretty good to me and I can attest I've certainly never babied it.
    I also like my Porter-Cable roofing nailer a lot too ....

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

I didn't have a compressor so I picked up a paslode it is great. The only problem is my buddies like it better than having to run the compressor and drag a hose behind them. I still want a compressor for other stuff but I think for a framing gun I don't want the hassle. It has also done wonders putting up my fence. Too far for a hose to reach.

Steve

I didn't see Craftsman mentioned. Anyone had problems with them. I mention it because they have theirs on sale now for $200. I'm in the market too, but this is an expensive tool for me.

Guys, I also have a Porter Cable FR350. Have had it about a year, and have always been concerned because it will, at times, double fire. When I say double fire, it will shoot two nails in a fraction of a second. About 3 weeks ago it double fired again. The first nail was driven correctly. The second nail tried to go into the head of the first nail. Of course the second nail can not penetrate the first nail's head, so the nail gun was forced backwards. Unfortunately for me, I was working in a tight area, so when the nail gun was forced backwards, the back of the gun hit the index finger on my left hand. The last bone on the index finger, right under the finger nail was crushed. The gun cut my finger along the back of the fingernail, and along both sides. The end of my finger from the back of the finger nail forward was just hanging on.

Spent about 6 hours in the emergency room. The doctor took the nail off, put in 6 stitches under the nail, then put the nail back on. Used 3 stitches through the top of the nail into the finger to hold the nail and the keep the cuts closed.

Because of the bad cut, I had to have a tetnus shot, as well as an IV antibotic, followed by 7 days of antibotics. A week later, I had to see a hand surgeon for a follow-up. He told me I would lose the fingernail within 30 days, and it would take approximately 6 months for a new nail to grow back, assuming the nail bed was not damaged too bad. If the nail bed is damaged, a new nail will not grow back.

A week later, had to return for him to remove the stitches holding the nail - the ones under the nail will disolve. Since the accident, I have had very little use of my left hand.

Since this is a safety issue, I contacted the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I told them I think the nail gun is a hazard, and should be recalled. They have not decided if they will do anything with my claim or not. They claim they are getting so many complaints that they just don't have enough investigators to handle everything.

I'm posting this here to inform you of the problems I had with the Porter Cable FR 350, and to remind you to be very careful. If you have one, keep one hand in your pocket and one on the nail gun.