Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hummingbird

Re: Hummingbird

We had to put up four feeders due to the wars. It was really funny when the fledglings started coming in to feed. 4 birds on each feeder, and a couple perched on the chains that hold up the swing. Then the stinging insects moved in, drove off the birds, and the people. This year no feeders, and a lot fewer hornets, wasps, bees etc. Did have a couple of irate birds this spring, but they gave up and moved on. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

<font color="blue"> Then the stinging insects moved in </font color>

Yup, those can be pretty nasty. We have traps set out for yellowjackets, and we poison the heck out of the wasp nests we find. The birds are pretty funny - they have a healthy respect for the stinging beasts, but will try to drive 'em off.

Maintaining the feeders is a pain. But I like watching the birds - makes it worth it for me.

Chris, Same here, One male has one of the feeders staked out and jealously guards it. Lately he has taken to "hiding" under a rose blossom and ambushing all comers. A while back we experimented a little bit by having two feeders in his territory. We then moved the one farther and farther away making it harder and harder for him to protect both. He tried valiantly but after the distance was great enough and the pressure of the interlopers was sufficient he just couldn't keep up. It was fun to watch him try.

It is also interesting to note that the males are the belicose ones and that females don't mind sharing. At first we had concerns that puting hummer feedeers on the same stands in close proximity to the thistle feeders might not work well as the little guys might be intimidated by the finches and such. NO WAY! When the morning and evening feeding frenzy peaks the finches tend to shy away some. The finches aren't driven away completely but become circumspect.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

When is the hummingbird season in the south east? I see some every once in a while during june-july nothing I'd like to see more but no such luck..

Well here in East Tennessee, we had them from the end of April through the end of August. If you put up a feeder, don't use any food coloring in the nectar. It'll keep them healthier. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

All nectar for feeders that I have ever seen is red. How does food coloring hurt hummingbirds?
    Chris

We never use the food coloring and have four feeders and plenty of Hummers. Once the birds find the feeder the color is not important. I am not so sure it makes a difference in them finding it either.

<font color="blue"> How does food coloring hurt hummingbirds?
    </font color>

It is an additional dye that doesn't add any nutritional value to the mix. Even the "Perky Pet" stuff you get from the store is usually available in "clear".

But I put the food coloring in, even with my homemade stuff (highly secrect recipie - 4 parts water to 1 part sugar, bring to a boil). I'm not convinced that they require the dye to find the feeders, but since I tend to let them run out (it is amazing how much those little guys can consume) I think of it as a flag to get their attention. I also can't always tell when the feeders are empty looking at them from the house if I use clear.

But I expect that clear is better if you don't need the color, and I could go either way on that.

All I know is that she who will be obeyed told me, "Don't you dare put any food coloring is that". I think the reason has something to do with the neighbor who bought out the local supply. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> the neighbor who bought out the local supply </font color>

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] It was a couple of weeks looking in the two stores I shop at before I could find any red food coloring. I'm stocked up now [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]...