Thread: Injector Cleaner for 1999 Silverado with 5.3L

Injector Cleaner for 1999 Silverado with 5.3L

Since a few of you guys have the same engine as I do, I was wondering what brand of injector cleaner you use and how often you put it in? Thanks.

Re: Injector Cleaner for 1999 Silverado with 5.3L

I usually don't do anything to my. Back when the truck had about 15 - 20k on it I took it to the dealer to complain about the throttle sticking. They said there was a carbon deposit on the plenum (I think) They did some type of Fuel Injection flush under warranty. Said they normally charge around $100 for it and that I should have it done every 20k miles. I thought that was BS, and haven't done anything since until about a month ago the throttle was sticking again. I went to Wally World and bought a bottle of Gumout Fuel Injector cleaner meant for SUVs (bigger bottle than normal [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] ) and dumped that in. Solved the problem. That was 4 bucks, I figured if I can run that another 50k I might spend another 4 bucks and dump another bottle in. BTW, I'm usually not particular where I buy gas and I also only use the 87 octane. Between my 2 vehicles we drive to many miles to be picky about where we buy gas whoever has the cheapest.

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

One maintenance item I do every other oil change is to shoot some throttle body cleaner in. There's a sensor on the throttle body that gets a carbon film and can give goofy readings to the onbard computer. Pulling the sensor isn't a big deal just 4 wires and a 10mm. But it's easier to pull the air intake hose off, hold the throttle plate open and spray the s*** outta it. Start it up and run it awhile and repeat the spraying process again however many times ya want. This came about from my '91 Vette sporadic rough idle and stall out. I ran gallons of injector cleaner thru the tank and still had problems. The Corvette factory tech center gave me this tip when I called them. The Vettes TB was horizontal and it amazed me when you put a shop rag under the TB and sprayed you could watch the black carbon deposit flow out. I've used regular Gumout carb cleaner with no problems but now they have the throttle body spray...probably the same stuff different color can.

the carbon on most FI vehicles usualy occurs from the oil being recooped thru the butterfly. adding anything to the fuel system won't help since it's up stream from the injectors.
    Be sure to use a product that is o2 sensor safe most carb cleaners ain't and will clog o2 sensors and possibly cause irratic problems. WD-40 works good..