Thread: Planting peaches

Planting peaches

I bought 5 potted peach trees. I have an area next to my drive where I was planning on planting. All in a straight row. However, before I started I looked up some websites and they are typically recommending a spacing of 20x20 for orchards. I found one site that said you could go down as much as 10x15. I'm planning on only 1 row and really have room to plant only 10 feet apart. I might get away with it as I only have 1 row and no competing trees real close. Any experience here? Will they be too crowded?

Re: Planting peaches

Are they are dwarf or semi-dwarf trees? If so, I think you will be ok with 10 foot between them. If not, put one elsewhere, put two in one hole (see fruit tree threads) or give the extra one to a friend.

Sabi

You don't say where you are located but I hope you purchased trees for your area. There are different peach varities and some require more chilling days than others. Some are early ripening and others are late. Here in Texas if you don't get an early ripening variety the bugs and birds will get more than you do [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Peaches for good production require regular scheduled sprayings and proper pruning to keep the center of the tree open. Good luck, nothing tastes better than a fresh picked peach, especially off your own tree [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Randy

Sorry, all my bio info is over on Tractor forum. I live near Magnolia, Texas. Trees are good for this area but not sure if they are dwarf. Don't think so.

I don't know, but another consideration for spacing may be pollination. Check with your ag agent. SOMETIMES they are useful.

Speaking of peaches...we have 150 fruit trees and are seriously discussing removing erverything EXCEPT the peaches and cherries. We are located north of Albuquerque - very alkaline soil and water. The peaches do GREAT. We planted them about 13 years ago on 12 foot centers. My philosophy is "low hanging fruit" so I prune them where I can reach any fruit without a ladder. Perhaps they would produce more if they were taller, but that's not what I need - I'm fearful of heights. The branches of adjacent trees touch now and it's kindof nice walking out there after dinner and having a fresh peach without straining myself to reach it.
    timex
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." LdV

you don't have any pictures of your tree farm rows do you? I've got about 20 trees and 1/2 acre i've now got sod on i'm wanting to replace with some fruit trees i was wondering if you had any suggestions as to doing it? I have read you need to till 4-5' rows up to let the roots grow which i have a 5' tiller and a subsoiler and grader to do it but i'd like to see how the " big boys" do it as to not waste my time and have marginal results..