Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tomato survey

Re: Tomato survey

It a wonder the ammonia didn't kill 'em already. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Ok, so ten days later, things are starting to come together. Tuesday, I picked a ripe one. Wednesday, 2 more. Yesterday, 5. I'm estimating that by the end of this weekend, I'll be bringing them in by the bucket.

We planted 12 Big Boys and 12 Arkansas travelers this year. Margie has canned 50 quarts of tomatoes and made a lot of salsa. We quit watering them and they have all but died now. We had all we needed any way Here is a picture of the garden in the spring. The plants grew about 2 feet above the stakes and broke over.

Gotta say those stakes are a little short. I set an 8' landscape timbers bout every 4 plants and tamp in good then run wire across the top about 6' high. Then wire 8' stakes punched about 1' in the ground to the anchor wire. Lots of work but it makes a solid trellis. Tomato worms are up so high now I can't reach them so I got my little trash picker upper gizmo and plucked them off yesterday. After the weekend showers I got blooms again.

I can't tell if that's squash or zuchini on the left but there's enough there to feed a small city don't ya think? Rich looking river bottom soil makes me jealous.

Nice looking garden but where's the rocks?

Egon

That sure is a neat looking garden. Mine is a mess right now. We had two weeks of really hot weather at the end of almost two months without rain. I kept the tomatoes and okra going by watering, and we got lots of tomatoes. Over the weekend it finally rained....I measured about eight inches in my gauge. The okra is now really starting to come in, but the wife says she's already tired of it. We just about only eat it fried, so I guess it might get old, but not to me yet. I'm thinking of trying some beets and turnips for a fall crop, and I'd better get them in the ground if I want them to beat the first frost!

Chuck

2 rows of yellow crooked neck squash on the left and 2 rows of cucumbers and a row of okra on the right of the tomatoes. Sorry no rocks in this delta soil. We put up 10 gallons of 14 day sweet pickles and 16 quarts of dill pickles and 14 quarts of bread and butter pickles

Lazy J, what city are you near. We must live pretty close.

Born and raised in Cabot but I live just west of N Little Rock now. I like all them White River towns, never far to go to hunt or fish.

My tomoto patch is killing me... I think I've already got more from 2 plants than I did 36 last year...they are everywhere and just falling off the vine. We've ate, given away, canned and they just keep producing fruit. It wasn't nothing I done, since the rest of the garden really was bad (except the weeds).

Next year. 1 row of beans. 1 row of tomatos and peppers (my bell peppers were awesome too) and a few rows of taters and corn.

Bo McCarty, Realtor