Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions & Fears about Log Homes

Questions & Fears about Log Homes

OK, we have the land and now we are looking for the right house to put on it. Because we will be in the forest and also creekside I want a house that looks like it belongs in the woods. I think this means Log or Timberframe. I have looked at log kits till I'm dizzy [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and have several questions. Some builders say kiln dried logs are best others say use our green logs. Any one out there have practical expirence with building a log home themselves??? I am concerned mostly about wood splitting and checking, insects, and settling of the walls. This will be our retirement home and hopefully the last one I need to build. I want it as trouble free as possible.

Thanks,

Lane Smith

Re: Questions & Fears about Log Homes

I love log homes but I would never build one for several reasons and you mentioned settling. I have worked on three log homes and the call backs for the finish carpenters are several times more than conventional framing. Most of the problems are due to the settling. Also the electrical and plumbing can be a problem even with careful planning.

I still love the look of a well built log home on an appropriate site. When we built our present home on land by a water fall and woods, a log look was in the mix. In the end we decided not to go that route. A real log home would never have been considered any way and we would have stick framed the home and then added half log exterior.

If you really want a log home after the sticker shock of a quality built one, then just spend plenty of time visiting some sites under construction and talk to the subs. Take your time, this is no small decision. One of the log homes I was involved in is a nightmare and has been sold repeatedly. I think it has had five owners in twelve years.

I looked at log homes myself and eventually plan to build one for retirement. They are a lot of maintenance. That's usually why the designs have extensive porches. The porches help keep the siding out of the direct elements. However, they still require a lot of staining and sealing on anything that's in contact with the sun and rain. There's a lot of forthought that has to go into the design and construction, to make up for the settling. For starters, the exterior windows and doors ride in a slip joint to prevent the settling from crushing them.

I looked at Satterwhite Log Homes. They use standing dry timber (dead trees) that is supposed to reduce the settling. If you look at they're designs (some real nice ones), you'll notice the roof is stick built. Definitely do a lot of research and let us know what you find out.

We've studied, visited, and still receive more monthly log home magazines than I care to count. We also know many who have built and therefore feel, the type found like Wisconsin Log Home and others like them, half in and half out with full sweish cope corners. This means 2 X 6 regular framed walls, easier for plumbing/electrical and still the look of a real log home. Settling issues are not a concern.

I have built a log home. Settling, if properly approached, is not the main problem. Geting the joints sealed and proper insulation ratings require large diameter logs and will be the main factors. One thing the logs do is retain heat and do act as a heat sink.

The interior has ambience but revisions may be dificult.

I would not build another one.
    As to exterior finish the 1/2 logs just don't have the proper look

If it's a retirement home think maintenance when one gets old and can't do all the things of youth.

Egon

My wife and I both wanted a log home and looked at them pretty hard. If we were a little further North we might still build one, but in Florida the main problems are rot and termites. I found a Florida log home mfr that uses heartwood cypress logs that lick both problems, plus tends to avoid the shrinking/settling problems but the cost was high. The final nail in the coffin came when my insurance advisor (my best friend is a reputable agent) quoted insurance rates for a log home. Well, a log home was a good idea while it lasted....
    ...Don

I've heard the same comments about insurance for log homes. Why is it more expensive? Fire? I've heard that they are actually less susceptible to fire due to the size of the logs. It's like trying to start a campfire with 6" - 8" logs and no tinder. It's much easier to start a campfire with a pile of 2 x 4's. Maybe the lack of drywall in a log home has something to do with the fire potential.

Insurance doesn't always make sense. I live in an all brick house and my insurance is greater than a regular house.

House insurance may depend on replacement cost.

Egon

Should have said that Egon. You're exactly right. In this case our previous house was vinyl siding and worth much more than this house. It was insured for replacement cost of almost a $100k more than this house. When I got the bill I was expecting a pretty big decrease in premium. Imagine my shock when it went up $300!! I called and that was their explanation that it was a brick house. I said in a fire the brick will probably still be there. I also said what difference does it make you're still only going to pay what it's insured for. Didn't matter. Just for kicks I asked what it would cost to insure the same house for the same amount if it was vinyl siding. Sure enough it was $450 cheaper!!! Go figure??? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]