Thread: How do you remove exterior wood stain?

How do you remove exterior wood stain?

We have a lodge on our property on our property which has a dark stain on it. We'd like to remove the stain so we may change the color. Is a wood bleach the best method for doing this? What other recommendations do you have other than painting over it?

Thanks in advance!

Re: How do you remove exterior wood stain?

I used to do a lot of furniture refinishing. What I would do first is soak with a paint or varnish remover. Follow directions and repeat a couple of times, applying and removing, rinsing with paint thinner or water, depending on remover. I've always used paint thinner type since water can do funny things to wood. Others use the water type with good success. And one may work better than the other for this particular stain. This may or may not remove stain. Then go with the bleach. Apply it only where you want to lighten. Multiple applications. You can rinse off bleach after. You will lighten it some but if stain is real dark you may not get it all. I've only used household bleach. There may be a product made for bleaching wood that I've never bothered with. Sanding is a last resort that I would avoid but may be required also.

We have changed the color of several houses using stain. Last year a redwood stained home was turned to white with two coats of a good quality pigment stain. It may need a third coat next year but it sure beats trying to strip the whole building. Clorine and water mixes can do a lot of damage to the wood, plantings and the workers so we avoid the mix.

Thanks for the replies guys. The stain on the lodge is dark brown. I've been hoping to avoid bleaching as I don't won't to damage the wood nor do any sanding (if it can be avoided.)
    I may try a test patch of staining over it then make a decision.

Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I know its not the same situation but we had a product called Clear Wood Finnish(CWF) by Flood on the outside of our house and I stripped in off with a 50/50 mix of greased lightning bought from Lowes and water. Spray it on, let set for 10-15 minutes and pressure wash it off. worked great!

kc,

I have the same stuff on my house and would like to take off some of the areas on the South side that have really darkened over the last 25 years. How did it do on really dark areas and what did you put down on yours after you stripped it?

It seemed take it back to bare wood with minimal darkening, and then I put on a product called Wood Guard.it is a penetrating finish not a surface coating click here

Thanks kc,
    Looks pretty good I may go the same way.