Thread: Is it Broccoli yet?

Is it Broccoli yet?

OK this is my first year with a real garden. I had planted some broccoli, and it "looks" like its ready, but I am not sure. How do you tell? When it look right, it is right? Now when I cut the stulk off, will it grow anouther head of broccoli? or do I just rip out the plant after the first crop? This is my first year planting it, so I have no idea. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Thanks!
    Paul Bradway

Re: Is it Broccoli yet?

My broccolli I picked when the first "main" head is about 3-4 inches in diameter...defintely do not want to wait to long because it very quickly goes from ready-to-eat to "flowered" and no longer edibile.

After you pick it (use scissors or a knife), several more smaller heads will continue to produce. Mine seem to produce for quite a while so you can harvest many times from each plant.

If you are not using pesticides (which I don't either), you are going to want to go thru them very, very closely and remove the tiny worms that live inside the heads when you wash them (or pretend I didn't tell you and consider it extra protien [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , I am sure they won't kill you).

Enjoy. Fresh broccolli just can't be beat.

Thanks. I will clean them good. I am not using any pesticides so I am sure something is there. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Looks like I am picking tonight. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Picked a few heads tonight. They look good. Now heres a weird one for you. I have never had fresh broccoli. How do I store it? In the fridge? Out on the counter? I have only ever had frozen. Thanks.
    Paul Bradway

Paul, I'm rather fond of broccoli, raw or cooked. You can store it in the refrigerator, my wife puts it in ziplock bags, and you can also freeze it if you want. I like it raw in salads or with a veggie dip, but I've never actually tried any raw after freezing. When we froze it, then my wife always steamed it when we were ready to eat it.

<font color="blue"> I have never had fresh broccoli </font color>

You're in for a treat! Frozen is fine, and we eat it on occasion. But we can generally get fresh, and it is really wonderful. The trick to preparing it is not to overcook it (although if you do it'll taste about like frozen). Steam it (don't boil it) until it *just* becomes tender, but still has some crunch to it. I like mine with butter and pepper. Enjoy!