Thread: Cold Natured F250

Cold Natured F250

I have a 2000 F250 XLT with a 7.3L PSD auto with 208K miles. It has four new injectors, new glow plugs, new batteries, and a new stater. The first time I start it in the morning it is very cold natured. It will just about not start first thing in the morning. If I plug it up for about an hour it fires right up. I can't find anything wrong with it other than this. Any other time it fires right up first try. The dealer said it is nothing major, but they can't track it down. I can't find any one who can help me. Any ideas? It runs and drives great, after you get it started and let it run for about ten minutes. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Re: Cold Natured F250

<font color="blue"> If I plug it up for about an hour it fires right up. </font color>

Not quite sure what you mean - but if you're activating the glow plugs for an hour to get it to fire you probably have a problem with them. Just because they are new doesn't mean that there can't be something wrong with them.

Thats a pretty good truck so its worth tracking your starting problem down.

If I plug the engine block heater up for about an hour it will fire right up.

I am thinking that the glow plug relay may be the problem.

"Wait to Start" light should stay on about 10 seconds, then start cycling with an audible click on about a 2 second interval. If not you either have one or more bad glow plugs or a bad relay. Check the glow plugs first for no continuity or no resistance, they should all show a similar resistance. If no problems there, then change the relay. A leaky injector return line could also cause similar problems. See the forum in TheDieselStop for a myriad of information on the Powerstroke Diesel.

It's either your glow plugs or your glow plug relay controller. If it starts after plugging it in it is a glow plug system problem. If it was fuel it wouldn't start when you plugged it in. The relay is very easy to replace yourself. Just two wires and a couple bolts that hold it on. I'd seriously get a new mechanic too. This is an easy fix.

I just bought the truck, knowing the problem ahead of time. Got a really good deal on it. The guy I bought it from had carried the truck to about three different mechanics, including his local dealership. I bought it realizing it was probably nothing major. It runs and drives good. It starts fine after it has been ran enough to warm it up. As long as it doesn't sit with out running for several hours it starts right up. If I plug it up for about 30 minutes or so it starts right up.

I do a lot of my own mechanic work, but I am not to familar with diesel motors. I have ran them and been around them for a while but this is the first diesel truck I have ever owned. I am more familar with diesel tractors.

Is there a pump to supply the injector pump that could have leaking check valves.

Egon

Egon,

I've had that on a couple trucks. Everyone I've ever had wouldn't start unless you bled it if you had a leak. Actually there is a pump that does supply the injector pump. But if it's bad it won't start whether it's cold or warm. They will usually start for 10-12 hours after you turn them off but leave one overnight and it will get air in the system and not start the next day.

I'm pretty sure it's the glow plug relay. Ford is notorious for those going out on a regular basis.

Even though they say not to do it my brother got sick of it on his 96 powerstroke. He just carries a can of ether and every morning gives it a shot and off he goes. He's got 240k on it and no problems. I wouldnt' do it but so far he's doing fine doing it.

Or the ultimate fix is to wire the relay to be activated by a push button in the dash. I've found I rarely need the glow system except during the winter months and even then only for cold starts. Use ether only if you know the glow system is disabled!