Thread: Antique car show in town!

Antique car show in town!

The annual antique car show is in Stowe this weekend and my oh my are there some beauties cruising around! Even my wife was forced to admit there is something majestic about the exhaust note of some of those 50-something V8s! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Looks like the never-ending rain kept some of them at home, and the late afternoon thunderstorm yesterday cut down on the number of spectators, but what an amazing cluster of old iron! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Today I'll attend for a closer look at some of those beasts.

Pete

Re: Antique car show in town!

This weekend we host the annual Muddy River Run car show here with hundreds of collectables and street rods. Lot's and lots of chrome around town. Always fun to see.

Labor Day weekend brings the world's largest antique and collectible car auction just a dozen miles north at Kruse Auction Park in Auburn, IN. Dean Kruse started this years ago and sold it to ITT Financial/GE Capital for millions. They couldn't do what Dean did so Dean bought it back for far fewer millions. Ebay later bought it for something like $38 million a few years ago and didn't succeed with the brick and mortar auction business so, once again, Dean bought it back a couple years ago. The price was rumored to have been $10-11 million this time and it's going strong again. Talk about "Midwest Farmer Makes Good..." [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You'll see Auburns, Cords, Duesenbergs up there along with more 'normal' collectibles, too. It's quite a show and it's grown to almost a weeklong event now. I bought a couple things there last year and will probably take a run up there again this year if the weather's decent.

Mudfest \'03

It rained Friday night when the antique car show opened. It rained Saturday afternoon and all night. And by Sunday, when I volunteered to help close the show, the field was reduced to mud and vehicles were stuck all over the place! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

So my "job" that morning consisted of driving a '95 Chevy half ton 4WD pickup around the field and pulling folks to freedom! What fun! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've never been a Chevy fan, but that little truck handled everything I hooked onto. In fact, in mud reaching the edge of the rims, I pulled a full-sized Dodge van towing a tandem axle trailer on which was chained a '57 Ford station wagon all the way out of the field and onto the highway! The power of that truck absolutely blew my socks off!

But it still didn't stop me from drooling over that 56 Ford pickup in the corner...

Pete

Re: Mudfest \'03

<font color="red"> But it still didn't stop me from drooling over that 56 Ford pickup in the corner </font color>

Or that 57 wagon. It was not a 2door was it? I would LOVE to find one of those old 2 door Ranch Wagons. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Not sure, but let me look thru the images on the digital camera. Bet I took a pic of that wagon during the show. If I did, it'll be posted tomorrow.

Pete

Boondox, see any 60 Pontiacs at that (muddy) Show? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]