Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burying Propane Tank

Re: Burying Propane Tank

Ouch - yes, it probably depends on your location whether the companies are willing to do a tank swap. Wise to check before going ahead with it.

So are there special coatings or any prep for burying a propane tank? If you own our own tank you can buy from anyone but if you lease you are stuck with one source. If the tank is burried, how does a delivery driver know whose it is?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

One of the Divisions in my company manufactures underground tanks. They are <font color="red"> NOT</font color> the same as above ground tanks. They have a special protective coating to keep them from corroding. There have been many failures of in ground tanks especially older ones that were not manufactured to the latest Federal rules. Depending upon the type of soil you have and how high the water table is will affect the life of your in ground tank. The other issue is that usually they are accessed through a access shaft and propane is heavier than air and any leak will accumulate in the shaft. If you are a smoker be extremely careful around any propane tank.

Randy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you own our own tank you can buy from anyone but if you lease you are stuck with one source. If the tank is burried, how does a delivery driver know whose it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you could get a propane company to fill a tank unless they knew it's "pedigree". Liability and all....

(Where's Hank Hill when you need him?) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> If the tank is burried, how does a delivery driver know whose it is?
    </font color> The driver probably doesn't give a hoot. Sales/billing dept. keep him away. Just another racket to keep business alive (competition?, you're under contract). Special tank for inground. I was recently quoted $1500.00 for 500 gallon delivered to site. Nothing else special about the tank install.

dummy, I haven't checked prices yet for above or below ground tank. Haven't decided on size either. Propane will be for range top on two stoves (electric ovens), backup heat in the form of a direct vent propane gas log fireplace and two propane fired direct vent parlor stoves. They will be decorative but functional as we have power outages due to ice storms every so often. Oh yeah and a gas outlet for the BBQ) on the lower level patio.

I like the idea of having a fair reserve and getting infrequent fillings so I may opt for a larger tank than would be ordinary for our applications.

Pat

WVBILL, Yeah, probably so. Didn't think it through.

Pat

RJOHNSON, Thanks for the info. I am even more convinced that I will buy a new tank, especially if I bury it which is more than an even bet. I just ran out of "good" places for an above ground tank within a reasonable distance of the house.

Pat

Pat
    Just make sure you are dealing with a good dealer (kind of like tractor dealers). Many suppliers will try to palm off an old tank. I believe there is a connection required for cathodic protection. Once it is installed correctly, it should give you many years of good service and you won't have to even look at it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Randy

Randy , I was a strong believer in passive cathodic protection and always tried to keep fresh clean zinks on my monel propshaft and one over the Perry nut that held on the prop. I was familiar with active protection systems with reference electrodes and all sorts of "high tech" but never personally had one on a boat of mine.

I heard of cases where with bad electrical conditions on the dock and aboard you could lose most of a bronze prop in just a few hours in an extreme case. Usually, in more typical situations, you'd lose the zink out of the bronze alloy and the prop wouldn't ring like a bell when struck indicating it was a candidate for replacement.

I'll have to get some info on cathodic protection of steel structures burried in dirt(propane tank.) Should be similar to cathodic protection of steel ships.

Pat