Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burying Propane Tank

Re: Burying Propane Tank

We have plenty of room for an above ground tank and could have it fairly well out of sight. Our concern is that we have woods where hunters frequent and am worried about someone coming over our property line and hitting the tank. I assume our garage would then be history! Any ideas? Thanks <font color="blue"> </font color>

You could put in blast berms which should catch any unwanted flying bullets destined to hit the tanks. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wow this is a six year old thread but anyway.

Those tanks are pretty strong it would have to be a fairly close shot to penetrate certainly under 100yds (unless its a really big gun) or armor piercing. . Plus contrary to movies it would just make a hole and you would lose your gas. Again ruling out tracers. Never saw anybody hunt with tracers. Well yes I have but it was in Korea.

A concrete block wall on the open side would probably stop most rounds or at least slow them to non damaging speeds. Lots of people around here put them down in a coffin type hole but we don't have to worry about it filling up with water.

I live in an intensely deer and other game hunted area. I have two each 1000 gal propane tanks. They are in a pit with three high sides. low side drains to a pond and is not likely to be the direction a shot would come from. The round end is the part of the tank exposed at the open side of the pit and is harder to penetrate.

Tanks have been known to pop off an end cap but other scenarios are much less likely.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"