Thread: First Garden invaded by moles

First Garden invaded by moles

I planted my first garden this year and most things came up fine. My butternut squash was doing great until they started turning yellow. I've got mole trails through the squash plants and my bet is that they are eating the roots. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

What is the best way to get rid of them? I'm afraid that when they are done with the squash they will move to the tomatoes!

thanks,

Mark

Re: First Garden invaded by moles

My uncle had a mole problem earlier this year until he bought some of these:

He just lit the fuse and stuck it fuse first into a tunnel. His yard remained mole-free for several months. The moles are just now starting to return. Here is the web page for this product.
    Chris

You could try injecting some carbon monoxide into the tunnels, but you'll have to go deep, the ones you see on the surface will soon collapse.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

MossRoad made a recent (excellent) post on mole control on TBN. Check it out

Here's a link to some pictures of mole traps and setting them. I hope this helps those of us with mole troubles.

Thanks for the replies!! Looks like its time to buy a mole trap. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I would have said "thanks" sooner but I cut my phone line while excavating a retaining wall. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I wanted the line moved anyway, but thats not how I planned on doing it.

I'll check out the tbn link as well

thanks again,
    Mark

Our moles are small, varying between the size of a small mouse to rat sized. Is this what everyone else has for moles? I have them in the pasture, they stay out of lawn, and I haven't seen them in raised garden beds yet. Our cats tend to keep the population under some control. Somehow they must hear them and I'll see them digging furiously sometimes. I see trails under surface but I don't know if they have deeper ones. Cats seem to like the heads best as I usually find just the lower half of bodies laying on porch.

Since they stay out of lawn, I wonder if fertilizer and pesticides tend to repel them.

By the way, I have a large trail by front gate, and a large mound. So I think we have our first gopher.