Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moles and Mole Traps

Moles and Mole Traps

There have been several discussions here and on TBN recently regarding moles and mole traps. Here's some pictures of the Victor Out O Sight mole trap and how to set it.

The first picture is of a mole tunnel. Note the raised area going from upper right down to lower left. The ground is kind of broken. Not much of a tunnel, but it is a main highway in my yard. I've killed 9-10 moles in this tunnel just this year.

Re: Moles and Mole Traps

In picture number 2 I stomp my heel into the tunnel. If I was prospecting for moles, I'd do this in several places along the tunnel. If it pops back up in 24-48 hours, it is an active tunnel. Since I already know this is an active tunnel, I am stomping down a place to set the trap.

In picture #3 you can see that my big feet make just the right impression to fit the trap over the tunnel.

In picture #4 I have used a trowel to cut a slice across the tunnel on both sides of the trap.

Picture #5 shows the trap in the tripped condition, setting bars installed, safety hook off and the long rod is the trigger locking rod, which will hold the trap in the set postion later. This photo shows just before compressing the setting bars. Make sure the trigger rod is between the setting bars at this time.

In picture #6 I have squeezed the setting bars together to spring load the trap. At this point it takes a pretty good grip to hold the setting bars together. If you let it go, the trigger rod can flip up and snap a chunk of skin out of your hand, so be careful.

Picture #7 shows the trigger rod slipped into the trigger pan and the safety hook latched over the top of the trap. This is so that if you set it off while installing it into the tunnel, it won't cut your fingers off or take a chunk out of your hand! Ouch!

Picture #8 shows me using the setting bars to push the trap in over the tunnel. I have rotated the trap 180 degrees so that the downslope of the trigger pan matches the downslope of my heelprint. I stop when the trigger pan just touches the dirt. If you push too hard here, you will trigger the trap.

You can see that the tunnel is now stradled by the two sets of scissor-like pinchers with the trigger pan in the middle. This way, if the mole comes from either direction, it will pass through one set of pinchers encountering a collapsed tunnel. At this point, the mole pushes the dirt up to clear the tunnel. This pushes the trigger pan up, releasing the trigger rod. The scissors close and usually catch the mole right in the middle, killing it almost instantly.

Picture #9 show the trap installed and the safety hook i the off position. At this point, the trap is ready and armed. If the mole comes from the left or right side of this picture, it will go through the trap, push up the dirt and trigger the trap.

In soft or sandy soil, I have used a plug of sod under the trigger pan, or the sand will fall away from the trigger pan when the mole arrives. It will then pass under the trigger pan without triggering the pan. Another fix for this problem is to pop-rivet a caning jar lid to the trigger pan. This will dramatically increase the size of the trigger area, making it more likely to set off the trap.

Remember... moles are basically harmless. The damage they do to lawns is only cosmetic. They eat worms and bugs and aerate the soil. They don't eat your garden vegetables as they are stricktly meat eaters. I don't enjoy killing them, but they do damage to our above ground pool and sidewalks. They also dig tunnels next to our foundation allowing paths for water to enter our basement. The reason I use the Victor Out O Sight traps is because it is the most humane, quickest way to kill the mole. That's the way it should be done if you have to do it.

Picture #10 shows an orange safety flag so someone doesn't mow over it or walk into it, etc... Also, If you have pets, dogs in particular, put a bucket or large plastice flower pot over it so the trigger rod won't get their nose.