Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moles and Mole Traps

Re: Moles and Mole Traps

This is a picture of the Nash choker loop trap in the sprung position.

This is a picture of the Nash choker loop trap in the set position. Imagine that the loops are under ground and the trigger pan is in a depression made by my heel. The tunnel would pass through both loops of the trap. This is the view the mole would have. As it passes through the tunnel, the mole goes right through the loop and triggers the pan the same way as the Victor Out O Sight trap. The loop pops up from under the mole and pins it against the trap, choking it. I have seen moles pull this trap out of the ground and drag itself across the yard. I have also seen several moles still alive in the trap. I had to dispatch them with a shovel. I had no idea how long they were in the trap and that bothered me. I no longer use these types of traps for this reason.

And this final picture is of grandpa's mole trap. I call it the Victor Plunger O Death trap. This is in the set position. Imagine the spikes over the tunnel and the trigger pan in the heel depression mentioned in the previous posts. The mole comes through either side and triggers the trap, getting speared by one of three spikes on each side of the trap. In theory at least... I've never been able to get a mole with this type of trap. The trigger never trips and the mole gets under it. Several times I have pulled the trap only to discover a tunnel passing right under the trigger pan. Also, it is very hard to set. I don't know how humane it is as I've never caught a mole in it. I no longer use this type of trap due to it being hard to set and the many misses I had with it. I'll stick with the Victor Out O Sight traps.

I hope this helps any of you with mole problems.

The best source of information that I have found has been at www.themoleman.com. He is, in my opinion, the number one source for mole info. Good luck to all of you.

I use the straight "plunger" mole trap that you said your grandfather used. I find it works great and have no problem catching (killing) moles with it. You are the first I have heard of that has success with the type of trap you use. But, each to their own and use what works best for you.

There are fewer steps to go through (your descriptions and pictures were great). Just step the heel on the raised mole 'tunnel', and push the trap into the ground, with the closed 'tunnel' going between the two legs. Then step onto the pad holding the 6 spikes and drive them down into the ground. Grasp the top ring or "T" and pull back and release a few times to be sure there is a clear path for the spikes to penetrate the ground. Pull back, set the trigger to just clear the trip pan (similar to your description of the hidden trap) and be sure that the pan is just touching the ground.

The mole raises this pan, trips the spring loaded spikes and is impaled. No need to spend time digging out a tunnel to prepare a 'bed' for the trap. When trippen, I usually first step on the spikes to ensure they are penetrating to their fullest depth. Then pull out the mole. Its good 90% of the times that I have the main run figured out, which fits your good description of knowing first where it is located.

Hey, great description. Thanks. I just can't seem to pull the plunger handle up far enough to get the latch latched. If there were some foot tabs or some way to hold it down with my feet while I pulled up on the plunger it would be much better. But the way the thing is I have to use one hand to hold it down and the other to pull up the plunger. The pulling up hand always wins the tug o war! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I've used the plunger trap in the past with some success. As you say, pulling the plunger up against the spring and getting it to latch can be tricky.

Good hunting!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I missed the picture where you actually had caught a mole. Which one is that?

<font color="blue"> I missed the picture where you actually had caught a mole. Which one is that?</font color>

Out of respect for the dead, I didn't take that photo.