Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generac home standby generators

Generac home standby generators

I am trying to choose between different standby generators. Don't want to use diesel because of the problems with fuel oxidation, microbial growth, etc. Of the LP types, Generac seems to be the best rated in the 15KW size with slow turning (1800RPM) engines. Does anyone out there have any experience with this size Generac? I'd like to know its reliability, fuel consumption at various loads, etc. Out here, we seem to lose power for about 1 week every winter. This is usually spread over 2 or 3 ice storms, so it isn't all at once. The people get along fine without power. It's kind of hard pumping water for the horses out of a 1000' well with no power, tho [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Generac home standby generators

I have that model (Generac 1800 RPM, liquid cooled) purchased last year. The 1800 RPM was what sold me (over the 3600 RPM) - a much less frantic engine. Mine looks a little different compared to the ones at the Generac site now - I don't know what is different internally. It's relatively quiet (but the enclosure is not sound-proofed as well as my friend's Kohler unit), but I paid 1/2 what he paid. It is such that you can have a normal conversation next to the unit, but you can hear a hum from inside the house. I'm planning to add a 4' vertical extension to the muffler so the sound is dumped a little higher in the air. Mine runs on Natural Gas, so I can't tell you about consumption - I'll have some idea next month when I get my bill - it ran for 24 hours with the recent big blackout. The auto-transfer switch works well, so I don't have to worry about my wife when I'm gone. The only thing is that the electrician was pretty unselective about what was wired. With the house going full bore (but no AC) I was only pulling 5 amps @ 220v. Although I need some slack for motor startups, I think I'll be adding some additional lighting circuits.

I have the 15KW, 3600 RPM unit in a home that's under construction. I went with the 3600 RPM because of anticipated use and lower initial cost. (almost 3K) I may someday regret the decision!

According to the manual, my unit consumes 2.8 Gal/Hr under full load and 1.73 Gal/Hr under half load.

The info on the 1800RPM liqued cooled 15KW unit states it uses 3 Gal/Hr under full load. No half load figures are given for this unit.

I don't see any noise figures for either unit.

I went with propane over diesel for the same reasons as yours.

Hope this helps
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,
    I've been looking at the 12KW unit @3600RPM. I know it is better to use the 1800 RPM units, but cost is a factor as well. We did not lose power (except for 10 secs.) during the blackout. But we have in the past, for hours. I need something my wife will not have to worry about if I'm not home......or if we're at work.
    We are on a well here, so there's nothing if there's no power, no water or worse, no sump pump. The water level is high here and the pump runs even in a drought.
    I gave my wife a few nasty stares when the blackout was happening [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Her mother lives in Cleveland and did not have power until the next day......steady power anyway.
    Oh yeah.....we have NG here, so I'd get it plumbed in to that. Gas has never failed me yet [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Inspector,

The consumption figures I furnished were for propane. If you have NG available, it's less of an issue as you have a virtually unlimited supply. There is a note on my unit that details the CF volume needed for NG. I didn't make any notes on that as I'm using propane.

I bought mine from www.electricgeneratorstore.com. Free shipping!

There are links to the specs and manuals for the various units.

As you said, I'd rather have the less expensive 3600 RPM unit than no unit!
    Gary

You are counting on NG pumping plants to be up and running during the electrical outage. By no means a gimmie. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

That's a point to consider, but I'd prefer NG over propane because a truck doesn't have to come and fill my tank. But there's no NG in most areas of Missouri. Outside of metro areas, propane is pretty much it.
    Gary

And the NG distribution systems are interconnected just as is the electrical grid. Lots of variables there to shut it down as has been stated by Slamfire.

Egon

Egon,

Is there a good distribution of NG in Canada? Until I started construction in "the country", I never gave it much thought. I had been raised in NYC and moved to the St. Louis area 37 years ago. In general, just how far out side a major metropolitan area is NG available.
    Gary

Canada does supply a little bit of NG.

Egon