Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albany Southern Railroad

Albany Southern Railroad

Railroads have always been a hobby of mine. One of the things I enjoy is researching old railroads. What I have been working on is an old electric trolley line that ran from Albany , to Hudson NY. It was called the Albany Southern Rail Road. This line ran from the end of the 19th century, to 1930. It started out as a small steam line called the Kinderhook and Hudson, which ran from Hudson, to Niverville NY. Later the line was expanded to Albany, and the name was changed. If any of you know anything about electric railways, the A&S was unusual in that it used all 3 of the most popular forms of electoral pickup. Trolley poles, pantographs, and third rail shoes. Being that the line has been closed for SO long, research has been hard. Also because it was such a small line, there is not a lot of info out there.

Now on to the reason I am posting this. I am looking for ideas on how to find information on this line. I have searched my local library, and on line, and have not gotten much info. Also there was a book printed on this, and I got it, but there still seems to be a lot of holes that I need filled. Any one have any ideas where to look? Some of the towns along the line have historical committees, but as of yet have not been much help. I would realy like to find some old pictures of some of the line, or it's stations. I would hate to see the history of this line die off.
    Paul Bradway

Re: Albany Southern Railroad

http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sectio...er/spencer.htm
    www.ci.salisbury.nc.us/nctrans
    ... The National Railroad Museum and Hall of Fame, Inc. ... www.micropublishing.com/railroad
    Try these, Paul.
    Try a search on Transportation Museums.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Hi Paul,

The NY State Archives located in downtown Albany (museum building) will have maps and documentation...

Also, Columbia County, records bureau will have survey maps, deeds, etc.

I had basically done the same as you a few years back with the Albany-West Stockbridge Railroad from 1840-1860 era...

Good luck... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> I had basically done the same as you a few years back with the Albany-West Stockbridge Railroad from 1840-1860 era...

</font color>

I did not know you were a Railroad buff John.

Thanks for the tips guys. I remember a few storys my Step father told me about it. He used to ride it as a kid. Also a lot of storys about all the gangsters that ysed to hang out at the park at Kinderhook lake. There are a lot of other storys out there, I would like to bring some out before it's to late.
    Paul Bradway

The Niverville station was right down the road from my new house. I got moved to Knicerbocker lake, and burned about 20 years ago.

Thanks for the links John. Some I had found, but some were new. Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

I'm assuming the railway bed that borders your property is the old Albany Southern Railroad...? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The old A&amp;S roadbed is across the street. The line right next to it [not on my prop line, one lot next door] is the old B&amp;A/now CSX. Got to say, The trains don't bother me at all. After about a week, I don't eaven hear them anymore. Plus I like watching them. I am a train fan from way back.
    Paul Bradway

Paul, HMMM, In many other investigative pursuits you hear the phrase, "Follow the money." I wonder if there would be any "paper trail" in the financial arena. Were they ever traded at the exchange, had any governmental/financial connection. Did they pay taxes? Did they use, perhaps in conjunction with governmental authority, right of imminent domain or other condemnation proceedings to get any of their right of way? Most of this sort of thing leaves a public paper trail.

Good luck to you in your endeavors.

Wooooo wooooo wooooooooooooo

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hi Paul,

Hi Paul,

I think I know you. If i'm not mistaken, my mom Pearl used to babysit you and your sisters in Valatie then the house on Railroad Ave in Kinderhook then 4 or 5 houses south of where you live now. Well let me know if your the Paul I am thinking of. Take care and talk soon!!!

Mike Alecksynas

Quote Originally Posted by s1120 View Post
    Railroads have always been a hobby of mine. One of the things I enjoy is researching old railroads. What I have been working on is an old electric trolley line that ran from Albany , to Hudson NY. It was called the Albany Southern Rail Road. This line ran from the end of the 19th century, to 1930. It started out as a small steam line called the Kinderhook and Hudson, which ran from Hudson, to Niverville NY. Later the line was expanded to Albany, and the name was changed. If any of you know anything about electric railways, the A&amp;S was unusual in that it used all 3 of the most popular forms of electoral pickup. Trolley poles, pantographs, and third rail shoes. Being that the line has been closed for SO long, research has been hard. Also because it was such a small line, there is not a lot of info out there.

Now on to the reason I am posting this. I am looking for ideas on how to find information on this line. I have searched my local library, and on line, and have not gotten much info. Also there was a book printed on this, and I got it, but there still seems to be a lot of holes that I need filled. Any one have any ideas where to look? Some of the towns along the line have historical committees, but as of yet have not been much help. I would realy like to find some old pictures of some of the line, or it's stations. I would hate to see the history of this line die off.