Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need serious housetraining help...

Re: Need serious housetraining help...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Got to be careful with the odor eliminating sprays. My dog likes the smell of some of them so much she will shred the carpet wherever its applied.

[/ QUOTE ]

It figures. Everything has a downside. I guess in that case, you're stuck with carpet shampooing. Or peeing on the spot yourself to cover up the smell. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

-Dennis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Currmudgeon is exactly right, you have to watch your dog while inside. I guaranty as soon as you take your eye off of him that'w when he'll relieve himself.

But you will soon learn (you are also being trained) the signs that mean he's about ready to go. Not all dogs are the same. With our miniature dachsund his tail was the give-away, it would point straight up when he had to go. With our heeler, he would start sniffing all around the room (a whole lot more than usual).
    If you can't watch him closely, put him back in the kennel.

Another thing that has not been mentioned is that you need to also watch him while he is outside. As soon as you see him go reinforce (e.g., good boy - insert your favorite praise phrase) him a lot. And lay it on thick. This will teach your dog that this is the place to go.

But you've gotta watch. With our miniature, his man parts hang down into the grass and it was hard to tell when he was going outside, we had to get real low to see when he went and reinforce him. The reinforcement must be immediate in order to associate going outside with the reinforcement (praise).

Clint
    si vis pacem para bellum

Hi Paul,
    We have housebroken several dogs and done well with some and other's have not ever gotten the hint. Crate training as a rule is great. When you are home, take your dog out frequently, like every hour or two, depending on the age and no food or water after like 5 or 6 pm. This is not cruel and if the dog is playing or really hot later in the evening, you can give him/her an ice cube. I still pick up the food and water on my 2 dogs by 9pm and they are well housetrained.
    Make sure the crate is not too big for the dog. He/she should be able to stand and turn around easily, but not too much room to soil the area. Also, feeding on a strict schedule is of most importance in housebreaking. You can leave free water when you are not home, but provide aplace for the dog to relieve themselve. My smallest dog, I put a baby gate up in front of a bathroom and used newspaper to train him. He still will look for paper to go on if we are not home.
    Use the same door to take him/her out too so they learn routine and try and go to the same place in the yard.
    Some breeds are easier to train than others and small breeds can be especially frustrating. If you have a Petsmart near you, they have a cheap book, Potty Training is Possible, for $4.95 to help you out. Good luck. <font color="blue"> </font color>
    Puppycat rules