Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question on new well system

Re: question on new well system

<font color="blue"> could i just buy a pump and tank from say northern tool ?? and then have the well driller wire and drop it in?? </font color>

They probably won't do it. First of all, part of the $$$ they make comes from a profit on the sale of the various parts. Secondly, they would have no way of knowing if what you were providing was all properly matched up and won't want to deal with possible hassles of making it work. Last, I think there's a pretty significant liablity issue with them only doing part of the work.

Worth asking, though...I'm curious what the response would be.

Now that is something new. I have heard of them but hadn't had an explanation. At first glance, it sounds good to me but I see a big minus. Say I want to water my lawn. That means the pump is going to run constantly until I shut the water off. Why would I want that?. A system set 40-60 is going to operate any normal house equipment just fine at either end of the range. I see no need for a constant pressure system especially haveing to pay to run a pump continually when drawing water.

Harry K [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the pump is going to run constantly until I shut the water off. Why would I want that?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the life of a well pump is measured in how many times it turns on. Without the PRV you "use up" maybe 30 of those cycles every hour you water the lawn - with the PRV you use up one.

Also, with several hoses going at once, the flow I got at the low end of the range was pretty anemic. With the PRV I get 50 PSI at the max flow of the pump all the time.

Since we've had several inches of rain the last couple of days, I can't really check this right now. But I will check it. I believe that when I'm watering the yard, the pump just stays on. But I could be wrong. With one sprinkler maybe not, with two sprinklers I'm sure it stays on. Hey - That tells me it's better for the pump to use two sprinklers at once. I'll check it after my mushy yard dries out a little.

If your pressure switch is set at 40 - 60, you don't have a PRV and your pump stays on when you're watering, then that means that your pump does not produce 60PSI at the flow rate allowed by your sprinkler(s) so the pressure doesn't reach cut-off. You don't need a PRV! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

One of the checks to do before anyone buys a PRV system is to verify that your pump can produce sufficient flow rate to make it work. Maybe I should have said that in the first place. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Wow!!!!
    I'm glad I live in the midwest. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    In May I had a new well drilled,
    550 feet , constant preasure system.
    total $4900.00
    It works great. I have more water preasure
    than a lot of people that have city water
    in nearby St.Louis

Good points on the starting cycles. I hadn't considered that, was just looking at the cost of running a pump constantly.

Harry K

I also just had a well dug a couple of months ago....the installer put in what he called a "cycle stop valve"...sounds like the same thing...I only use this for irrigation, as I irrigate about 2 acres (26 zones / 114 spray rotors)...some of these heads are about 500-600 yds away and he put a 70 p s i CSV in the line where the pipe comes out from the ground....since my sprinklers go for about 10 hrs about every 3rd day, he informed me that this would cut down the constant on/off of the pump, which as stated earlier, is the killer of most pumps!
    by the way, $4800 for 220 ft deep....hit water at 120 ft, kept hitting water till 200 ft, then hit gravel the next 40 ft..so we stopped drilling and he set the pump at about 180 ft!

Variable speed pumps do not save energy. you can get the same energy savings by using a simple valve on a standard pump. standard pumps spin 3450 RPM and the variable speed pumps spin from 4800 to 10800 RPM. The higher the RPM the quicker the pump will wear itself out. For more details see www.cyclestopvalves.com

The Smart Tee has a one sixtenth of an inch drilled hole for a pump cooling bypass. When this tiny hole stops up you will burn up your pump. see an explanition at www.cyclestopvalves.com under cycle stop valves verses fully closing pump control valves.