Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + sprayers

41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + sprayers

I seen some 41% roundup generic (roundup is 49-50.2% in ultra) and was wondering if you can use the stuff around trees? and if anyone uses generic products..

Also on side note i was wondering if i ever get that 15-20 gallon atv mounted sprayer if i use a soluable fertalizer then want to use roundup or weed killer in it. what does a body have to do to keep it from getting crossed up? would i need someother kind of chemical rinse?

Re: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + spray

According to my local Farmers Co-Op Round Up has a mixed shelf life of 24 hrs. It only needs contact for 2 hours for it to start working. I have used it around trees and container plants in the nursery and greenhouse, just be careful where you spray.

Re: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + sprayers

I certainly am not recommending it, but I've used the same sprayer for insecticides and herbicides and simply thoroughly rinsed it out with water before changing to the other and never had a problem. And Mac may be right about the "recommended" shelf life of mixed Round-Up, but I've kept it premixed in gallon jugs for months to use on small jobs and it still worked just fine; i.e., killed the grass and weeds I sprayed with it.

I've kept it mixed and never had a problem. Maybe it was less effective and I just didn't know it. I'm not a chemist, but I don't see why diluting roundup with water would make it ineffective after 24 hours. Next time I use it I'll see what the bottle says.

I spray around all of my trees and have never noticed any ill effects.

I'm not sure on the mixing either. I've left some mixed for a year and it still did the job when I used it.

Re: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + spray

Mixed roundup can be purchased off the shelf so its got a good efective life span.

Egon

I use the Gly-Star Pro 41% stuff in my 25 gal Fimco sprayer. Works well, just takes about 2 weeks and everything is dead, really dead!

I ride along in the tractor with the tank on a carry all on the back and spray with the wand. Be careful in the wind as I have found this stuff to burn a little on the legs when wearing shorts.

I use the liquid tank cleaner sold by Agri Supply to clean the tank. Have not had any problems.
    My friends just call me Mad.

Thanks all i was actualy talking about using the 41% concentrate to mix up 15 gallons and use all of the 15 gallons. Then maybe using the sprayer for insecticide or fertalizer.

I've seen some places where the bark on trees won't be affected by roundup and that once on ground it becomes inactive to the roots..

I have little experience with it, but the directions on my container indicate that it is taken up by the leaf system of the plant. This means that you can spray it on the ground at the base of all sorts of crops, like grapes, fruit trees, etc. As long as they are either dormant (early spring), or tall enough that the leaves are off the ground sufficiently to avoid the spray. It should not hurt your trees in any way, as the bark cannot absorb the chemical into the circulation system of the tree.

Yep, I sprayed the stuff on the weed leaves and accidentally got some on the bark of a few 3 inch trees. Trees are alive and well, weeds are dead.
    My friends just call me Mad.