Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + sprayers

Re: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + sprayers

Concur with all the others. I've used Roundup months after I mixed it and it still killed the weeds. Use it around my trees with no problems too. I've also alternated RoundUp and insecticide in my Fimco 15gal unit after a thorough rinse with water. Noticed the other day at Tractor Supply they have a "spray tank neutralizer/wash". I didn't look at it in detail but maybe it's just a detergent that helps ensure a good rinse....

Re: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup/safe?

OK, you didn't ask, but in case you are interested here is a link shows a review of its health and environmental effects of glyphosate.

http://www.geocities.com/opaq2001/glyphosate.htm

I personally don't even allow the stuff on my property. Do what you want with yours, but at least be aware of what you *might* be doing first.

At least be careful when you use it and don't just assume it is perfectly safe...

The article could be "biased" some of you will say...on the otherhand, does anyone really beleive the studies put out by the chemical comapnies that make these products are not biased as well? Weigh the evidence and then decide.

I don't worry about the enviroment no one else does 95% of all life that ever existed on the earth is dead.. so what's a few more people any way? Just like those peta freaks who say they are for animals etc then they go torch trucks and spray paint cars adding cfc's and propellant agents in the air..

and just incase your interested diesel fumes and care emmissions are 20x more likely to cause heath effects than any enviromental/chemical contamination.

thanks for the warning though.. I do live within 60 miles of oakridge and 2 nuclear reactors.. a collection of missle silos and missle depot and several coal production plants not to mention we have the 3rd most polluted air quality of any us geography only topped by LA and chicago or ny one..

My son did a science project last year on the effects of Roundup on worms and insects. He killed a bunch of different critters but I think it was more due to captivity than the spray. Slugs were the only thing he could find that it would make sick or kill at least short term. Worms actually seemed to enjoy it by migrating towards it when saturating one end of their bin. Glyphosate, 2,4-D, MSMA... all used by the tons in commercial agriculture. Like Agent Orange, only time will tell. I personnally fret much more over insecticide use than herbicides. I led a coalition of horse owners that use the same hay farmer to successfully persuade him last year to quit spraying liquid Sevin for Armyworms. We were talking last week and he noted that now about the time he starts worrying about the worms mowing his crop down there'll be a huge flock of blackbirds spend a day or two in his field and obliterate them. I hauled the cheapest hay last week that I've bought in years. Now if I can persuade him not to mow so short he wouldn't have to spray so much herbicide.

For an orchard I would spray around trees with a selective herbicide to kill obnoxious weeds and then trim around them a couple of times a year with a push mower or string trimmer. Having grass cover will be much healthier for the trees and be easier on the eye than barren dirt.

The California Air Resourses Board, might dispute your ranking after 30 years of draconian measures to clean up the air. The LA basin was considerably better by my nose than some spots in the Smokys. One thing for sure LA used to be bad, you could smell it when you flew in. Way out around Ontario, which is about 100 miles from ground zero.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

>>. Like Agent Orange, only time will tell.

That is the problem isn't it? In my book, better safe than sorry...lets hope that when there has been a large enough passage of time, and all the testing has been done, the effects of roundup/glyphosate are not anything like Agent Orange....I just read the other day where traces of agent orange are still showing up in the food supply in vietnam...almost 40 years later.

Re: 41% glyphosate concentrate Aka roundup + sprayers

I use it all the time. I have 1 gallon vinagar jug with a screw on top and take it to the local farm supply chemical dealer and get a gallon jug for $29.00. It is the same as the purple topped Roundup.They even put a label with directions and warnings on the jug also. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

On the subject of pesticide dangers, anybody else notice anything deadly wrong about the way the TV advertisement for "Over and Out" fire ant killer portrays the application of their product? This may be a regional ad, I dunno, but I've pointed out the stupidity of it to my kids. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed it?

>>I'm curious if anyone else has noticed it?

I haven't seen it...maybe its regional, or not in my region anyway; but I am not suprised. Much of the advertising portrays most of these types of products (hebicides, pesticides, chemical fertilizers etc) as wholesome as baseball and apple pie....spread the stuff all over your little piece of heaven and then let the kids and pets roll around in the stuff...

Ha! You guessed it! Kids and a dog rolling around in the grass in the background.