Thread: Ramps Recommendation

Ramps Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good set of ramps that will accomodate cars that are close to the ground? I'm not talking a sports car, just our 1994 Geo Prizm, 1995 Honda Civic and 2000 VW New Beetle. The ramps I currently have are too steep and the front valence of each of our cars hits the ramp before getting very far.

I stopped at my local Advanced Auto Parts and they had a metal set for $25 for 'cars and trucks'. In order to be able to use them with our cars, optional 'ramp extenders' would be needed for another $25.

How about the one piece fiberglass models? Any good?

Re: Ramps Recommendation

Make your own out of wood. Then make them about 6' long with a long run to the rise you want. Much cheaper than steel and just as good. Make them solid at the top to accomodate the 'dead' weight.

Re: Ramps Recommendation

I used to use wood also. Works good and is strong. If you make the ramp section long then it's real easy to drive up on. The steep ramps you get at the store are way to steep to be safe. You have to get a small running shot to get up the ramps and then hit the brakes at the top before you go over the edge. Never had a problem with the store variety but the wood ones can be made to fit your car and needs.
    However I purchased a used 2 post car lift and gave the ramps away. Best $850 I ever spent.

Rich