Thread: Reclaiming a field for a lawn

Reclaiming a field for a lawn

I have some property with a section near the road with a frontage of 515' and runs back about another 500' to my barn. It was literally left to seed for six or seven years before I got it and took a brush hog to it. I've been over it twice in as many weeks now with the second time just today when I lowered the blades to the second lowest setting from the highest setting which I used first. I still have HUGE windrows and sections that were more knocked over rather than actually cut.

At this point what is my best course of action? I was thinking of taking my finish mower and setting it up a few inches from the level I just brush hogged it. My thought was that would get the parts that were knocked down cut and would probably chop the cutting and eliminate the windrows with my Woods rear discharge and spread out the clippings more evenly.

What do you think, folks? Will that work or is there something else/different/better that I should be doing? Thanks for your help. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Reclaiming a field for a lawn

That'll work...it is suprisingly easy to take pasture and tame it back into something that looks like lawn. I have done exactly what you said...brush hogged a few times, and then attack with the finish mower (w/nice sharp blades will help). After a few passes with the finish mower (with preferably several dry sunny days in between cuttings), the lawn will come around....at least mine did.

Thats is until I got too darn tired of cutting all that lawn and have decdided to get sheep instead [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] .

If you can get somebody to bale it that would be great Gary. This would get the excess grass off of it and let you start fresh. The biggest thing once you get it down and the excess grass off is to mow it regularly. This will prevent the weeds from growing and will stimulate the growth of grass. If you can I would overseed some kentucky blue grass. It will quickly start to take over the weeds and "junk" in your field.

From what I understand I had some stuff in there that made it unappealing for anyone to bale so I just brush hogged it a couple times. I ran north and south a couple weeks ago then east and west Saturday with the mower at it's second lowest setting. It was rough going in a couple spots and I'm sure the rain last night got some stuff standing up straight again. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I think I'll try to set my finish mower up at it's highest level and get through it tomorrow morning before work. First light tomorrow is at 6 so if I set everything up tonight after work and set the alarm for 5 I ought to be able to get a good start on it unless it's wet.

Is spring the time to do the overseeding? Obviously, I'm out of my depth here. Thanks for your help. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Spring or fall Gary. If you do it in the spring you want to do it in aug. or early sept. You need to give it time to get up and going before it freezes. After middle sept. you can either wait and overseed after Nov. 15th or start in the spring.

To make the most of it I would make sure you rough up the ground somewhat. Get a harrow and run over it at the very least. Then put your seed down and then harrow again. Ideally the best thing to do would be to rent an overseeder. You will get the most bang for your buck this way as you will get many fold germination rate.

You can do it in the spring but now is an ideal time for most of the US to seed. The idea is to get the seeds in the ground and started and allow them to grow a root system before it freezes. That way just as soon as it begins to warm in the spring and have a bit of a head start on spring seeds that would still have to spend a couple weeks germinating.

And the trick to keeping grass and weeds under control is to keep it mowed. It'll take a few seasons before it stays purdy for long, but most grasses can't set seed if you keep 'em short (don't get me started on Bermuda grass, though - can't stand that stuff [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]).

Cowboydoc was right on on the technique. You want the seeds to be in loose soil but completely covered. Keep 'em moist (not too wet, and they don't have to be deeply watered) until they sprout.

Unfortunately, renovating a lawn takes a few years. But tearing one completely out and starting from scratch is a pretty big commitment (either time or money).