Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the correct height of horse fence?

What is the correct height of horse fence?

Guys:
    I have gotten my 8 foot long post (4x4 PT) and have set them about 3 feet deep. This leaves me with 5 feet above, and I have put on some 1 x 6 rails and the fence looks kinda high to me. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I was wondering, since I have a road right in front of the fence, do I leave it as a 4 rail fence that is 5 feet tall so I prevent then getting out and killing someone on the road? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I am going to be boarding other peoples horses, as well as my own, and am wondering if the fence is the right height.
    I have read that a stallion fence should be 4.5 to 5 feet tall, and I would appreciate other peoples experiance with this. Especially people who already have horses, and are either happy with a 4 foot fence of who wished that they had gone for a 5 foot. I have only put up 4 sections of rail so far, and used only 1 screw in each poard at this point to make it easy to remove them and lower the rails, if that is the way to go.

As usual I am grateful to all who reply [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ....

Re: What is the correct height of horse fence?

Go with the 5 foot. You're better off having one a little tall than one a little short and getting an energetic young warmblood that thinks 4 foot is just a challenge. Our warmblood jumped 4 footers regularly when he was a two year old. Unless you KNOW that you'll never have anything but quarterhorses or older, more sedate horses, 5 foot should keep everything but a stallion with a mare in heat next to him in. All our fence is now 5 foot and we've had no escapes.

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines, but the CFO says 'that is not a pretty fence, it is too high'. I of course said sure honey, (with the sweat dripping into my bloodshot stinging eyes). [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] However, when we boarded horse few years ago, they got out and were running down the main road. I was just waiting for that horse to go through a windshield and kill someone. Shortly after that I got rid of the tenant and her horse, because I felt the income was too low and the liability too high. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I actually think the fence looks nice the way it is, and it is very solid. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I agree with Gerard. Keep your fence at 5 foot. At that height horses won't usually try and jump it. Any smaller and given the right conditions they will try and go over it.

Thanks for the advice... I will keep it at 5', do you have any feeling about the spacing between the 1x6 rails? It is currently a 4 rail, with about 9" between each of the rails...

>Unless you KNOW that you'll never have anything but quarterhorses or older, more sedate horses...

Don't under estimate those QHs, they are the most athletic horses in the world [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I shoot for 54" and vary up to plus or minus 4" to follow the contour of the land. It seems like the right height to me and similar to many other horse fences I have seen. I've never felt it is too short or too tall, and it's just the right height for leaning on and kicking your foot up on the bottom rail.

The fact of the matter is that a horse fence is really only a visual barrier. Any horse that is truely determined can get through any fence, or slice themselves to shreds trying on the wire ones[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Steve:
    Your have just hit into my next question. I have the fence at 60", but now the land is sloping down about 6". If I keep the fence level then the fence looks an extra 6" high. If I allow the top rail to 'slope' down the 6" it looks like it is not level [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] What do think is the right thing to do?

Perhaps a cold drink, and some shade will help my outlook [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Amen on the quarterhorses being athletic. They will easily jump a 5' fence if they have a mind to. Heck I've had cattle clear a 5' fence and not even break stride.

As far as your fence Jason 9" is fine for spacing. As far as going downhill or uphill just keep your posts all the same height and run the top board right along the top. I usually cut a 1x1 to the height I want and mark all the posts so I get my top rail just right. I usually will mark the measurement for all the rails at the same time.

I agree, follow the lie of the land. I only deviate +- 4" to accomodate very small dips and such. Here in New England there is no such thing as "flat" or "level".