Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best 10" table saw blade...

Re: The best 10\" table saw blade...

That would be the planner of my choice Pat. I have a delta 12 in. without the snipe control feature.

Have you got the planner set up so there will be longer infeed and outfeed support for those long heavy pieces that are sure to be in your future.

Egon

Egon, This is the lesser featured and priced of the DeWalt 12 1/2 inch planes. You know how it is when you do business with a place and they give you a ballpoint pen or a hat with their name and logo on it? Well, the delivery truck from my materials supplier drove out to the building site Friday afternoon to deliver a handfull of little metal thingies that brace between some big wood things in my house and brought along a NIB DeWalt thickness plane with an invoice/receipt for $0.00 so the warranty would be covered. It was a thank you for the volume of business I had given them. The guy who runs the contractor desk knew I was trying to put them out of business [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , i.e. make some lumber from local logs so he had mentioned earlier that his dad had one of these planes and liked it so he thought he should get me one as a thanks for the volume of business.

I know wheere the $ to buy it originated but anyway you analyze it, it is better than not getting it.

I ran a "chunk" of eastern red cedar (roughsawn to about 3"x5"x5') that has been drying for about 2 weeks. I ran it through a couple times on all 4 sides. Probably get better results with experience in setup and with dryer wood. That cedar (juniper?) is going to be very pretty when planed and clear coated with urethane. Probably satin finish urethane rather than gloss. What do you think?

It makes neat shavings, lots of them. I will be happy to get it set up securely with good infeed and outfeed support. The test was with it perched on a sloping cardboard box but my "helper" was with me and her assitance made it possible to do the test with the plane just floating precariously. You know how it is on "Christmas morning", us kids can't wait and have to run the electric train NOW!

Armed with DocHeb's ripping blade recommendation for the table saw I will be ready to turn the pile of logs (currently in sliced up lengthwise slabs) into finished dimensional lumber, planed smooth on three sides. This will trim out the new sunporch/garden room.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It makes neat shavings, lots of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

See you take the cedar shavings and use them for beding for hamsters. You use the used hamster beding and dropping for fertilizer on the cedar trees. Then you use the cedar trees to make more shavings for the hamsters. Close to perpetual motion, eh! OK you need to add energy in the form of hamster food and water. Hey, will hamsters eat poison ivy?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Pat:

Thats still a nice planner. Have you used one before? If not I can make a whole list of things not to do.

Egon

Gary, At some point don't I get to have charcoaled hamsters on a stick?

Well, I did my hero thing and repaired the guys band mill sufficiently such that it starts and runs and when it starts sputtering you kust twink (technical maint term) the 5 pin connector on the back of the ignition switch. He needs a new ignition switch, too much corrosion from sitting out in the weather.

To "properly test" the mill I, of course, had to whack off a couple slabs from the log we had left slaying on the bed. It works. My first time at the controls. Not too complicated.

I ripped one of the slabs to remove the edges where thte bark was. Sure wish I had DocHeb's recommended ripping blade on my table saw already. Turns out that there are little white fat grubs living in the cedar within an inch or so of the bark. They didn't seem to hurt the plane (cooling and lubrication?) as much as the plane hurt them. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I hope dry cedar will plane better than fresh cut.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Uhoh.... Your getting sucked in... I understand making lumber is very addictive... Forestry Forum

It's too late for me but you can still be saved!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, you can BBQ them once in a while. But don't get greedy otherwise you'll cut down on the fertilizer production.

And I'd bet that hamsters don't taste anything like ham! What's with that. I'll bet they taste like chicken.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Pat, for ripping, I've narrowed my choices to 3:
    Freud LU87 about $48.
    Freud TK206 about $25.
    Jesada 110-240 about $58.
    All are 10", 24 teeth, carbide.
    Whichever vendor has either of the three for the best price at this coming weekend's Woodworking show will get my $$$$.
    For a combo blade, I think I'm going to spend the $100 on a Forrest.
    My saw is a small one like yours.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

ScottAR, I appreciate your concern but you are to late. I was infected decades ago and have just been in partial remission for nearly three years but even then remained a carrier. Now it seems to be flaring up again! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am chomping at the bit to get my jointer, radial arm saw etc out of the shipping container they made the last move in and get them to work in my new shop which is still a bit NOT READY yet.

I recently joined that "other" support group Forestry Forum.

Gary, Like quail, it will probably take 3-4 to make a decent sized entre. I guess you could use them for shishkabobs with appropriate veggies in between and or you could stuff them and lace or tie them closed to hold it in.

I can visualize a small army of them in marching formation in a large roasting pan or serving tray on a large bed of rice with bright garni as their unit colors. For an added touch (by the touched) array them with their little heads cocked smartly to the right and the single largest specimen out front with his right foreleg cocked up to his brow as if rendering a salute during "EYES RIGHT" on the parade field.

...ho ho he he to a nice place where the sun is always shining and the...