Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly scratch and dent sales.

Grizzly scratch and dent sales.

I am going to visit the Grizzly Tool outlet in Pa. in the next couple of weeks. They have a scratch and dent sale around that time. Has anyone ever gone to one of their sales and what was your reaction?

Re: Grizzly scratch and dent sales.

Went a few years ago - well worth the experience. Expect a big crowd and know what things are worth - some were huge bargains and others would end up costing more than new after you bought all the missing parts. Geat deals and a fun time! I bought a jointer, a planer, a sander and some small stuff.

Thanks for the info.

I plan on buying a table saw, jointer, and drill press whether they are on sale or not. My concern is that if it is a zoo that I will have a hard time loading what I know I will buy bargain or not. Would it be better to make two trips or is it reasonable to do it all in one on the sale day.
    Your thoughts are appreciated.

Tim

Well, what did you buy????
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I had a good experience. Did not find any models that I wanted in the scratch and dent sale but did buy what I needed. The table saw was my first priority and it is a good thing that I went to look before I bought. If I had ordered the one I had chosen from the web site, I would not have been completely satisfied. I spent time with each machine and had a tech answer all my questions. Actually spent less for the the one I bought then I had planned. Heavy duty 10 inch cabinet saw is just awaiting the electric. That should get that done this week.

The selection of the drill press, jointer and band saw went better. After again spending time with the techs that were roaming the floor, I knew I had made the right choices. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The drill press and band saw have already been put to work and they do a very good job. I may have gone a step too big on the drill press but then again I will never be short of power.

I did pick up some saw blades and other supplies at the tent sale and saved about fifty per cent. You really have to know what you are buying as some of the machines and supplies were little better than junk. I did save enough during the day to add a sanding station to the purchase. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

All in all it was a great day and well worth the four hour trip, even with the need for an enclosed trailer. The table saw box was just to high to slide in the van. I will do it again but will know enough to visit before hand to make sure I have the right models picked out. If I had grabbed the table saw I thought I wanted that would have been a mistake. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Grizzly runs a good operation and loading was organized and done very well. It did take some time to wait to be loaded but not unreasonable.

One sad note as the home trip started there was a large Grizzly box in the middle of the expressway. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] The rain was pouring down and two people were dragging it to the shoulder. About 300 feet down the road was the pickup that had been carrying the box. There was not a hold down or rope in sight. It looked like they just stacked the boxes on the truck and drove off. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Which cabinet saw did you pick? Does the shop fox fence seem to be as good as they claim? I've got an older model grizzly saw and have been very pleased with it except for the fence. Not as quick and easy to accurately adjust as I would like.

When I was shopping the website I thought I wanted the G1023Z with the Shop Fox fence. After playing with it and finding the time that it took to remove, I decided to go with the Shop Fox classic on the G1023S.

It took almost eight minutes to remove the new Shop fox Fence from the G1023Z and seconds to remove the Classic from the G1023S.

I think the new fence on the G1023Z is a good unit but I was pleased how the classic worked on the G1023S. Being able to remove it easily was the big issue with me.

The Z model is a better saw and fence but the S model will do the job for me. After all I am replacing a ten inch one HP Craftsman. It will be nice to have the three HP motor and the weight of the saw itself.

One fence on another unit just was not right. It dragged and failed to line up when locked. The tech made a note to get it fixed and was not happy that it was on the floor that way.

I still have to run the 220 line so I can get it running.

Sounds like you're going to be doing some serious woodworking with those new toys, I mean tools.
    When I build a bigger shop, I want to replace my 10" Skil table saw (3hp motor). It's been a good saw, but the miter guage slot is not a standard 3/4" slot.... it is like a t-slot channel.
    Let me know how the saw does for you.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

<font color="green"> Sounds like you're going to be doing some serious woodworking with those new toys, I mean tools.
    When I build a bigger shop, I want to replace my 10" Skil table saw (3hp motor). It's been a good saw, but the miter guage slot is not a standard 3/4" slot.... it is like a t-slot channel.
    Let me know how the saw does for you.
    </font color>

There is a lot going on for the next week so the electric will not be in right away. I sure do want to try the saw out.

There is a display unit that must be done by the first of Nov. and I want to do it on the new saw.

After a couple of projects are run through, could you post a review of the fence for me.? It's quite near the top of my holiday wish list and if I don't specify exactly which item to get..... she may get bad advice from someone else and get the wrong stuff!

Dale