Thread: Anyone elses garden this bad?

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone elses garden this bad?

>>Will not the pine needles and lime be at cross purposses for soil PH?<<

Yes, but I was afraid with the amount of pine needles I put in that it would be far too acidic. So I only used about 10 lbs of lime dusted over the pine needles in my 30x35 foot garden. Plus the lime is slow working, I didnt think think it would affect the overall ph for 6 months or so. Im certainly no expert, and I am just winging it so far as I have not tested the soil which I do need to do. Once I get it all tilled in and have a somewhat homgenous mix, I will do that for sure. Last year, being the first year this was broken up for garden, the soil was pretty much hard clay with burmuda and weeds. I'm just trying now to incorporate as much organic material as possible while still allowing me to grow a somewhat acceptable garden in the process of conditioning the soil.

I am also tilling in about a bale of straw that has been used in and around my dog house for the winter months that has somewhat composted as it sat.

Do you think I need to add some good nitrogen fertilizer into the mix to help with the nitrogen depletion as all this "stuff" composts in the garden soil? The organic matter added consisted of 10 huge gabage bags of pine needles, about 10 huge garbage bags of oak leaves, and a bale of somewhat composted straw.
    Kenny

The nitrogen should help.

Perhaps think of keeping some areas acidic for plants liking this type of soil.

Remember " BROWN THUMB" is my second name.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

LOL...well I've got a yellow thumb myself. I can grow the he!! out of a weed. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ken
    Kenny