Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone elses garden this bad?

Anyone elses garden this bad?

Our season was so wet this year that I didn't plant as much as usual. Two weeks after memorial day we finally planted in the mud hoping that it would dry off. It never did. My garden has had that wet soggy look all summer. After about 60 days the tater tops all died, dug them up only to find that the big ones were golf ball size. Tomatoes are now only golf ball size and are dying. Planted 18 cauliflower, Every one started to head nicely then rotted. Cucumbers, 2 hills 3 plants each produced 6 nice cucumbers, Now the small ones are rotting and the plants are dying. Yellow squash, 2 hills 2 plants each produced 2 very small squash, Now the plants are covered with some kinda green mold and the small squash are rotting. The green peppers never did start growing good, they are now 8 inches tall with peppers the size of marbles on them. The bright side is that we may get 4 decent cabbage, they havent bit the big one yet. This has been the worst garden ever.

Re: Anyone elses garden this bad?

my corn plants right now are about 6" no where near ready to make corn and the rest has rotted only thing we had was canalopes about 20 good size out of 4 plants.. and some peppers had some good size .. everything else was dead.

I made a huge mistake i subsoiled and rototilled when it was slightly wet it made my ground so hard and so cloddy back about last of march/first of april i think. Hopefully all the grass that has overgrown it will help loosen it up.

Next year it'll be dry as a bone i bet..

Ah, fear not. My garden this year was really terrible. I managed to kill tomato plants, somehow. My pears and plums were small and not very tasty... Bad produce year, all around.... [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

A tough year to be sure, at least up here in the northeast...about the rainest I remember.

But all was not lost: I had the best year ever for cukes, and even managed to can about 40 jars of pickles. In previous years I got no cukes...

Peppers of all vareties did very very well for me as did the yellow beans and broccolli. Squash and zuccini was about average.

Lettuce was late coming, and then seemed to bolt right away and even though I planted pretty close to 40 tomato plants, I'll be lucky if I get enough for even a few meals. Cherry tomatoes did better than the big ones...but not much. Tomatoes are the biggest dissappointment for me. I I could only grow one thing, it would be tomatoes..

No corn yet, pumpkins will probably freeze before I see even a small one, and the eggplants, even though the plants themselves have grown vigorously, show no signs of bearing fruit anytime soon...

Carrots did good, beets ,maybe I'll get a set of pickled beets if I am lucky. Cauliflower all rotted on the plant...

It was the first year I started almost everything from seed (in feb and march); so I got some satisfaction just producing seedlings and then watching the plants grow.

Next year I hope to have a greenhouse up and running so I'll see how much that improves/lengthens the season.

I'm just on the third year for this garden, and the weather has been a problem each year here in middle Missouri. The 2001 garden probably would have been pretty good, but I didn't have enough experience to get full advantage. Last year was an almost total bust. Hot dry weather did in everything but the early stuff. I got good cabbage and snap peas. No tomatoes, and the deer took care of the beans. I got decent potatoes, but nothing to brag about. This year, I fenced out the deer, and was absolutely determined to get tomatoes. A cold wet spring did in the cole crops, though I got really good yield from the sugar snap peas. Bush beans and tomatoes came in by the middle of July and did well. Then the dry started. From early July all the way through August we got essentially no rain. For two weeks in August the temperatures were in the high 90's and 100's. I got some squash by watering and also kept the tomatoes going. I seem not to be able to grow bell peppers, but jalapenos and cayennes do OK. The hot dry spell discouraged me from putting in a fall crop, and then we got eight inches of rain over the Labor Day weekend, so yesterday I tried to clear and till enough to put in some turnips, beets and spinach. I did put in beans and rutabagas about two weeks ago, but that was in the middle of the 100 degree weather and I suspect I have baked beans in the ground somewhere. Anyway, I did get tomatoes, so I can't complain too much.

Chuck

<font color="blue"> I seem not to be able to grow bell peppers, but jalapenos and cayennes do OK </font color>

I have exactly the same problem. I guess that the "hot" peppers can handle the heat better? Don't know yet, but bell peppers die whenever they see me... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Agcomike
    When your corn is ready I will bring over my tiny taters and we can have a corn roast.

I'm planning to try the bells again next year and really work at them. My best tomatoes are growing where I worked in a pile of leaves last fall. Next year I'll put the bells in a similar spot and arrange drip irrigation on them. I think they just need constant moisture, while the hot peppers can manage with less. I'd really like to get some big bells and let them ripen. And stuffed green bells are one of my favorites, plus they freeze really well. The local farmers market always has nice bells, so I know they can be grown in this area.

Chuck

Try some Navarone sweet peppers also. And try a few Tomatilos. They are a staple in some of the mexican salsa sauces.

Egon

We got some peppers of various kinds, but no melons, cabbage, eggplant, okra, or any greens. Didn't even get the corn planted, ground didn't dry out enough to work until the middle of August. Got a few tomatoes off every plant, but most rotted, starting at the bottom where the water drips off the fruit.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer