Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Follow-up on well water pressure

Re: Follow-up on well water pressure

I agree about the capacitor set-up on the pump - now if it loses a capacitor, it's turned into a service call to pull the pump rather than a 10 minute job for me to replace one in a control box. Dumb, especially since they got away before I got home to see this installation. The original 4" pump had the Franklin control box - the replacement 3" pump does not.

I let 2 psi out of the bladder tank, leaving the pressure switch settings alone and the lag in pressure is now getting reduced to a quick burp, so I think I'm creeping up to where everything should be set. There is a big improvement since the first day of this post [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] .

I will also double check the air pressure with the water on - sounds weird to me too. Then the well company and I will have a conversation.

Many many thanks for your help. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Nick

Re: Follow-up on well water pressure

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Don't necessarily assume that a two-wire motor is somehow less worthy because I PREFER the three-wire type. It has been YEARS since I purchased a sub and who knows what technological breakthroughs have been made in submersible motor design. When I first got in the biz in 1967, just getting a sub to RUN under water was considered a huge accomplishment. We used to call them sub-miserables because certain makes gave SO MUCH trouble. Franklin emerged as the premier submersible motor company and it would be hard to fault one just at first glance. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The big problem with residential water well work is that you are battling cost. The customer isn't usually knowlegeable enough to compare apples and oranges so low bidder wins. I generally avoided residential water supply work and only did it for my real good deepwell turbine customers and in that case, cost was not a factor so we went strictly cadillac, no corner cutting whatsoever. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The problem with a lot of companies is that they get used to installing subs and don't know when to quit. Once you get to about ten HP, the low efficiency of the subs starts to cost you some real dough, and because they are 3450 RPM, any kind of a sandy well is blamo to the teensy tiny bowls and impellers. A marginal well is an application for a 1750 RPM lineshaft turbine; but you have to know how to install one ....of course. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave