Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a rear end be converted to posi-track

Can a rear end be converted to posi-track

I have a '98 F150 with the 3.55 rear end. Can this be converted to posi-track or lockable rear end? If so, how and how much?

Larry
    Larry

Re: Can a rear end be converted to posi-track

Sure, you just need to change out the internal "unit" for one that is limited slip. You'll need to set up the unit within your rearend to ensure proper alignment. I have no idea how much, but you can get one @ a dealer ($$$$) or maybe a junkyard ($$). If it is 4wd make sure your new gears are the same as the old or you WILL destroy your transfer case, and possibly the differentials.....Hope this helps [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How about a "Detroit Locker" or one of the other brands. All of the off-road guys retrofit their rigs for mudding and seem to use these on their play toys. I've never used one and don't know what's involved in installing one, but a quick internet search should give you an idea.

I know This Article isn't about a Ford but it does show that a rear end can be converted to limited slip - and it gives reference to sources for the components: Auburn Gear and US Gear.

I have no experience with this - I just found the article while I was researching the noise coming from my 2000 Ram 1500's rear end. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

For your application I would suggest a posi over a locker.
    A posi unit will run anywhere from $375-$500 depending on what you get. Add shop labor for R&R, new seals, etc, plus setting up the ring and pinion again and you could easily be in the $750 range for everything I think.
    Another option is to find a posi unit from a wrecked truck. That can make for a much easier bolt-in project that can be done on your driveway. Most of the newer ones still have an ID tag on the case for a quick ID. Another way to tell is to turn the wheel on one side - if the other side turns the same direction it's probably a posi, if it turns the opposite way it's a stock open unit. However, it's always wise to have someone knowledgeable to also look at it to ensure it's in good shape.
    I've had good luck with Torq-Line units, which are identical to Ford's Trac-Lock unit. They are a clutch type, 4 pinion posi and have been very durable. I like the clutch type units because they are rebuildable. Always be sure to use the 4 oz additive that Ford sells for use in posi/limited slip setups.
    Nick

<font color="blue"> Always be sure to use the 4 oz additive that Ford sells for use in posi/limited slip setups.
    </font color>

Chevdog, please tell me more about this. I just replaced the pinion seal in my truck's rear end (Ford, corporate 10 1/4" limited slip). Refilled it with Mobil 1 but no additive. What am I missing out on?

Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Yes you can. But BTW Posi-trac is a GM name. Ford used Trac-loc [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There are many difrent typs out there, Lockers, clutch type limited slips[like the OE one] Air locker, gear type, etc. Now what is your use? Just a little more push? I would stick with the OE type. Probably get one installed for a little over $600.

If you want to shop a bit, pick up a 4wd mag. All kind of ad's in them for difs.
    Paul Bradway

Paul is right about the GM/Ford names for limited slip units - I just call everything a posi unit [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not entirely sure what's in the 4 oz additives that both GM and Ford sell specifically for use in their respective limited slip units, but it works. It helps the clutch packs "slip" just enough to eliminate the chattering and grabbing that can occur, especially when going around a corner. However, it does not affect the overall performance of the unit. The folks that I know all use it, even most of the ones using synthetic. On more than one occasion I have seen (and heard) the results from using this stuff. Both mfgs require it in their units.
    As far as both GM and Ford additives being close enough to use either in any unit, when I asked the tech at US Gear about it, the recommendation was to use the Ford additive in the Trac-Loc type units (like mine) and the GM in the posi units. Cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.
    Nick

The Trac-loc and Powr-lock are from Dana. One is a limited slip, the other a posi. Both are clutched units. Jeeps used Dana diffs and axles a lot. Both units were available for years in the Dana-27, 30, and 44. They have them for the Dana 60's too.

There's a few routes you can go. If you replace the complete spool unit, your looking at $300-500 for just the part. that does not include seals and installation.

Locally a gear swap is abot $500/axle. That works out to about $200 in parts and $300 labor.

There are also some drop in lockers that you can do in your driveway.

As someone else mentioned, check out a off-road magazine. They have tos of that stuff advertised.