Thread: Hemlock on the barn finally stained

Hemlock on the barn finally stained

We built a barn last year and used green hemlock for the siding. It was so wet from the mill that water was running off the truck bed.

It was stacked for two weeks and then nailed up vertically. The battens were cut and stacked to be put on after the full boards shrank. We were going to stain it last fall when we put on the battens but winter closed in early. All the rain this summer did not leave an opportunity to put the stain on until now. The boards have dried well and the stain just sank right into the wood. The rough surface was like a sponge.

I had never used hemlock before but it gave us the look we wanted. Now we will see how the stain holds up.

Re: Hemlock on the barn finally stained

I think you'll be pretty happy with hemlock. We use it for all our horse stalls and we just added a 9 x 50 foot hay storage addition and are in the process of finishing a 20 x 30 foot addition to the arena that will have three more stalls. Using hemlock for all the board and batten siding and the stalls. Very hard durable wood and it's what the sawyer said was best for that type application. Hope you have a framing nailer to do all the board and batten. Mines paid for itself many times over on this one project alone. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Hemlock on the barn finally stained

<font color="green"> Hope you have a framing nailer to do all the board and batten. Mines paid for itself many times over on this one project alone. </font color>

In the past I always borrowed one but when we started this house I bought one. I should have done it years ago. I never thought I would use it as much as I do.