Thread: Sticking pressure switch

Sticking pressure switch

Does anyone have any suggestions for maintenance of a pressure switch? Mine sticks sometimes. Pressure goes to zero, usually when I'm in the shower of course. I go out. Take cap off. And bump one of the switches, usually by lifting off contact and letting it spring back, using a non-metallic probe of course. This is enough to get pump back working. Should I: file contacts with nail file, spray everything down with WD40, blow switch out with air, etc? Any suggested fixes are appreciated. Problem seems to be getting more frequent.

Re: Sticking pressure switch

Does the switch fail to spring over to the "make contact" side (meaning it is physically stuck open) or does it make contact but just doesn't allow electric to flow?

If it's physically stuck, I'd try blowing it out with air. I don't think they're factory lubricated so I doubt adding lubrication would help. If it's just not making electrical contact, you could try filing them to remove corrosion. (Turn electricity off first).

Ultimately, I'd probably just replace it. They're about $20 or so - available at Tractor Supply or on-line at Plumbing Supply.com

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Pressure goes to zero, usually when I'm in the shower of course. I go out. Take cap off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that might spark your neighbors' interest! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Once it was in the winter, cold. I went out in just a towel and shampoo. Luckily my neighbors are too far off to see much.

"Does the switch fail to spring over to the "make contact" side (meaning it is physically stuck open) or does it make contact but just doesn't allow electric to flow?"

Good question and I'm not sure. I believe last time it looked closed. I'll have to check a little better next time.

In fact I have a spare switch from an old well. If filing contacts doesn't work, I'll probably change out. Winter's coming...

Dear Herb-inside: The chief culprit and causation of the sticking pressure switch syndrome is crud in the pipe nipple that the switch is mounted on [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ....AND if the switch is mounted with the pipe nipple horizontal, crud buildup under the diaphram. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Since there is little or no movement of water, sediment and other types of secondary deposits can accumulate and hold the diaphram back as if there was pressure from water....hence no closing action on the switch. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Most switches can be dismantled by removing the circle of screws that clamp the diaphram. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Horizontal-mounted pressure switches are far more trouble than the vertical mounted units. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Mine is vertical. And now you mention it, the old switch that I have has the 1/4" pipe still attached, and it does look nasty inside.

<font color="blue"> I went out in just a towel and shampoo. Luckily my neighbors are too far off to see much. </font color>

That isn't a pretty thought, though [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]...

No, but I couldn't see dressing up with soap all over me. But it wasn't a pretty sight. Cold kind of makes you not care though.