Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ham Radio Tower

Re: The Tower is Up!

Thanks Gary [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Thanks Gary [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Canadian ehh - must still have valves in it.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The radio runs on cod tongues! That's the Goofy Newfie version anyway!

No offense intended to any Nowfoundlanders! Visited there and it's a pretty place. Wasn't sure why we drove to Meat Cove though.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I had a Haliscratcher (Halicrafters for the uninitiated) SX-120-k or some such that had continuous coverage from .5 to at least 110Mhz (megacycles then.) It has a jillion tubes (Flemming valves) in it. It would do FM above 50megs. Huge metal beast with the top half of the box hinged to swing open. Top part was perforated metal for ventilation and you could see the filaments glowing. It has a matching bass reflex speaker as big as the radio with a music/comm switch to change freq response. I listened to the world with it. I bought it in the mid 60's from a USAF pilot of my acquaintance in Minot, ND. He bouight it a few years before. I paid $75, kept it till the mid/late 70's and sold it to a young architect for $75.

So getting a decent shortwave and listening in to Quito, Ecuador, Havana, Cuba, Radio Moscow, the BBC, VOA, Time signals from the USA or Canada, any number of ham operators (you need SSB capability...at least a BFO) and on and on need not be very expensive.

Those cod tongues...fresh, or salted?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Cod tongues are breaded and fried! At least when I had them.

I started short wave listening (SWL) with a Gonsett receiver. Don't remember the model, but it was about 1960. Bought it done on Radio Row in NYC. That's Canal Street.

None of my ham gear is tube, but a fried has a whole room full of Collins S line and Hallicrafters gear.

The new antennas are working great. Made many contacts this moring into Estonia, Slovinia, and the Netherlands. All on 17 meter band.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?