Thread: motor swap in blazer

motor swap in blazer

Guys help me out. I have a 96 chev blazer with 4wd. The oil filter is up under the radiator because there is no room beside motor due to differential housing on axle.Last winter while driving the rubber connecting hose broke and drained the oil from the motor. I have a knock coming from the valve lifters which is getting louder. I am going to replace the motor sooner or later, probably sooner. What motors out of what vehicles will make an easy, read less labor$ swap. I'am talking bolt in swap not machining connecter plates. btw it's a 4.3 l engine. Thanks in advance

Re: motor swap in blazer

I'd guess that the 4.3 is the only option that is going to be a fairly painless swap. Some of the earler S-10 and blazers had the 2.0 4cyl and the 2.8. My choice would still be the 4.3. How about finding one that was wrecked and getting a fairly low mile engine or rebuild your long block? GM has a good parts department, how about a new crate engine or new long block? Sounds like you may want to put a V-8 in this.....I bet it could be done, but probably not without $$.

Have you checked out a rebilt long or short block? Might be the easiest solution.

Egon

Stick with the 4.3, its more power and I've heard of some issues with the 2.8. You might check with one of the big rebuild places to see what kind of price tag you're looking at. Might even want to check with Chevy to see what a factory short block would run.

Steve

Try a Jasper Engine...........nationwide warranty
    Jasper

Thanks so far. I'll stick with the 4.3 but i guess what I mean't to ask was is a 4.3 the same as a 4.3 as in pickups or minivans or cars and what years did they stay the same before something was changed to make them incompatible with what I have?I plan on keeping my eye out for that low mileage good motor totaled jewel that is out there if I know what I'am looking for.

Try going to this discussion board and do a post in either the 1994-1996 Chevy's section (general Chevy advice for those years) or the 82-Present S10's, S10 Blazers & AstroVans forum. You'll amost certainly get a reply from someone who's done it before.