Thread: Tree row ideas...

Tree row ideas...

Looking to plant some trees along a property line that runs next to a highway. (Southern tier NY State) Would like something fast growing and native. So far we have looked at white pine as the possible best answer. Any other ideas?

Re: Tree row ideas...

What is the purpose of the trees? Looks, to block view from highway, sound barrier?

If you want something that will create a windrow, or an obstruction, you could go with Leyland Cypress.

For looks, the sky is the limit -- Willow, Green Ash, Maples, London Planetree, etc.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Gatorboy,

I have been looking for a tree suitable for natural fence, fast growing. The local nurserys all say Leyland Cypress for North Florida. Planted 12 feet apart, they'll grow 3 to 4 feet a year...so they say.

Around here (Michigan/Indiana) the mainstay of wind breaks are Norway Spruce and Hybrid Poplar. Both grow several feet a year once established. They are often planted together for some variety to the tree line [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Hybrid poplars are popular in Northern Ohio too, but be careful, they are suseptible to disease and wind damage. I suggest calling your local ag agent or wildlife officer. Not only can they tell you what is best for your area, they often provide seedlings for free.
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

I'm in the Thumb area and we have planted 2 rows of spruce 15' apart then a row of Hybred poplar 20' apart. The wind comes from the west so the pines are west of the poplars. The spruce are about 2' and the poplars about 4-6' planted 3 years ago this summer.

mikell

Our lower ny tree of choice for this purpose was blue spruce. They grow 2-4 feet a year. That's fast.
    Doug

I order from the state and get 2 to 3 yr old seedlings. You can buy your Norway Spruce, oak, walnut etc at a pretty good price.