Thread: Feeding out a steer

Feeding out a steer

Well, I've just about sold my first steer. He'll buy at market price if I'll finish hem (he'll pay the feed cost). He wants to finish him out on corn.

I know he just can eat corn, he'll need some hay. I'm I correct. And do I feed him a sweet cattle feed with corn or strait cracked corn?

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks
    Roger Meadows
    TiAnViCa Ranch
    Mulberry, Florida

Re: Feeding out a steer

The way I've finished several steers by feeding cracked corn at 2% of their body weight divided into two feedings a day at 12 hour intervals. At each feeding I also fed a leaf of grass hay to keep the rumen in working order. Make sure you feed them grass hay as alfalfa hay contains to much protein and can cause bloat. You may also want to purchase mineral salt and feed it at free will. Hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Feeding out a steer

You really need the protein. If you don't finish them out on alot of protein they will gain fat but not alot of muscle. The muscle and the marbling of the meat is what you want. Alfalfa won't hurt cattle. You can give cattle free choice alfalfa with no consequences. You just have to build them up on it. Just like feeding cattle out. You really want a good protein with your corn. You gradually incease the grain until you ahve them on feed 24 hours a day.