Thread: trailer light adapter

trailer light adapter

I bought an adapter that converts the round type trailer light plug to the flat 4 wire type. The running lights come on, but the brake lights and turn signals don't work. The last time I used the trailer with my old truck everything worked fine. This is the first time I've tried it on my newer truck, so there is a chance there's something wrong with the truck. Has anyone else used these adapters?

Re: trailer light adapter

Yep, Danny, I've used them and they've always been good, although it's possible you got a bad one. I'd just get my multimeter (in fact, I'd probably just use my test light) and check all the terminals at the truck plug without the adapter plugged in, if that checked out OK, I'd plug in the adapter and check those terminals, then you'd know whether the problem is the truck, the adapter, or the trailer. Of course, it's possible a new adapter is defective, it's possible the bulbs are burned out on the trailer (although a little unlikely for both to go out at the same time).

Just to back Bird up, I use 2 of them with my Silverado as well. One to take the round 7pin RV type to the 4 flat, and then another to take it to 6 pin round horse trailer type. Don't know if it was the adapter or the trailer, but with that one there was a problem with the brakes and the 12v wire. Namely the 12v supply wire for battery charge was going to the brakes of the horse trailer. Just pulled the fuse out for the 12 v under the hood. (wasn't hauling horse used it to move). The truck didn't want to move the trailer real well with all 4 wheels locked. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But the lights worked which was the important thing.

I would start by checking the ground... The worst of all culprits on campers, rv trailers, utility trailers, ect.

Next, check out this link. They have info on most trailer hookups. There is actually a standard for wiring in to a trailer light/brakes.

www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

I use the 7 wire to flat 4-wire frequently. I switched both my trailers to a 7-wire plug though...

Ive had them where they are dirty and work wrong. Spray some electrical cleaner in your plugs and push and pull them out a couple times to clean the crud off the terminals. They are fussy that way some times. I have surge brakes on my camper and electric brakes on my utility trailor. When i pull my camper (with surge brakes) if i dont have the electric brake box turned all the way up my brake lights wont light up on my camper. It isnt sending enough power to the brake lights to light them on the camper. It didnt say that in the direction with the box either. I figured it out with a tester and alot of hair pullin and of course luck [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Something doesn't seem right here. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] The brake controller shouldn't be sending the signal to the brakelights. It should only be sending current to the brakes - in this case nothing since you have the surge brakes. The brake light power (on a normal 7 blade RV setup) should be coming off the turn signal lugs. The left turn signal will come off of the middle left lug (as facing the back of the truck and looking at the connector) and the right turn signal should be coming off the middle right lug.

Do your turn signals work on your camper?

everything works properly. I mad a pig tail that goes from my ford plug on my truck to a jayco 6 pin camper plug. For some reason the brake lights dont come on with the camper unless the box is all the way up....go figure, but all my lights work right the way it is.....so im leavin it.

Thanks for all the help. I finally found the problem. It was a bad wire on the trailer. A chipmunk decided to build a nest inside the tonque of the trailer and the wires run through there. Apparently it chewed on the wires!