Thread: Pecan tree and squirrels

Pecan tree and squirrels

Have a pecan tree that the squirrels are eating all of the pecans. Have placed metal flashing around
    the trunk of the tree to about 7' height and they are still climbing the tree. I need some ideas.
    Thanks in advance. JRF

Re: Pecan tree and squirrels

Try an owl or hawk, life size figurine. They are available at most home and garden shops. Move them around so the squirrels don't get use to them. They will not be as effective if the squirrels are jumping into the Pecan tree from another tree, they won't be able to see the fake predator. Also large rubber snakes around the base might help. If this fails, a 20 guage shotgun with #six shotshells works well. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You didn't say how the buggers were getting into the tree. From other trees, jumping up to low branches, or somehow scaling the flashing. How low does it go. Could they climb to the bottom of the flashing and jump to a branch? If access is by trunk, consider forming the flashing in the shape of an inverted funnel (big end down) wrapped around the tree. I have heard of folks using a fence charger (solar powered- I have two and they work well) to make an electric barrier on the trunk using insulators and wire.

I have never had long term satisfaction with rubber snakes, phony owls, etc. Sometimes they work for a little while and sometimes not but I have never seen them work long term. I have seen marinas full of these things trying to keep birds out of the rigging but no success with years of observation.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Teflon tape on top of the flashing might work. Supposedly, they can't climb PVC pipe, either.
    I've read that to keep squirrels away from bird feeders, there should be no "perches" within 10 feet. Evidently, they can jump a 10 foot gap. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Try to make the ground under the tree undesirable for them and they can't use it to jump from.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

A 22 works great on tree rats [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Randy

If the flashing is aluminum it may be soft enough for the squirrels to get a grip on it. Is it set up so it's cone shaped pointing down?

At the lake we have a bird feeder mounted on a 3/4 inch pipe bolted to a rock right at the waters edge. Between the feeder ahd the pipe there is a guard of square flat 16 gauge galvanized steel. One morning I was rewarded with a resounding splash as a squirrel tried to get past the guard and overextended himself.

Egon

If you are really wanting to harvest some pecans for your own use the squirrels have got to be removed. Believe me things will become worse as time goes by, squirrels have a way of communicating their finds to others. Every squirrel in the area will be at your trees. They will figure out and defeat about anything you will come up with to keep them out. Live trapping can get a few but shooting is the most effective way to remove them. Find a local squirrel hunter to take care of them if you are not up to it. Most hunters will utilize the meat which is better than just leaving them lay and go to waste.