Thread: Food plot for deer

Food plot for deer

My resident deer herd is almost non-existent this year. Most years I would have 20-30 deer running the bayou in the back. This year I have had precisely 6 for several months, 2 does and 2 sets of twin yearlings. Hard to understand because the mast crop has been phenomal the last 2 years and I've curtailed all my poaching and trespassing probems. I fertilized the honeysuckle in their bedding area and they're loving that but I thought I'd better do something else also because the acorn crop looks dismal this year. I disced about a 1/2 acre of semi-cleared bottomland today and it's ready for seed. Never had much luck growing the clover mixes. What all do they really like? Rye grass? Wheat? Fescue?

Re: Food plot for deer

They really like beans. It's too late to plant beans, though... 45 day crop. Regular old green beans will work great. Next year, plant them about 40-60 days before season.
    Our acorn and other mast crop is big this year. They have a lot of food to choose from right now. With all of the rain this year, everything grew good.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

People told me buckwheat but right now the hay field is the most popular place. Maybe in the winter they will take the wheat.

mikell

Try sewing the ground down in winter rye or wheat. They love this stuff once the acorn are cleaned up. Then in the spring disc the rye/wheat under and then try the beans or the clover.

Shawn